Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Crossfire

Hi all,

Just started playing Alpha Centauri again after a few years off. I have misplaced my Alien Crossfire disk.

I was wondering if anybody knew where to get a copy in the UK. The usual outlets don't have it and somebody on eBay is after silly money.

Cheers

Re: Alien Crossfire

Originally posted by bongedone
    somebody on eBay is after silly money.
    Human behaviour is economic behaviour. The particulars may vary but competition for limited resources remains a constant. ... the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognise this deep thrumming of our common pulse.
    CEO Nwabudike Morgan, "The Centauri Monopoly"

(No, mine is not for sale, not even for silly money, but I was never able to resist a cheap joke.)

Seriously, I have not seen SMAX for a reasonable price in ages. Good luck!

Verrucosus

Comment

You can still buy it via amazon.com:

plenty of stock, it seems and at a good price...
      McLaine

Comment

But he's looking for Alien Crossfire (SMAX). All of the products in your link that contain SMAX go for more than $100.

Petek
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

You would think that given the exorbitant pricing that SMAX disks still command, that someone would be interested in untangling the license issues to push out a sequel.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
            You would think that given the exorbitant pricing that SMAX disks still command, that someone would be interested in untangling the license issues to push out a sequel.
            Depends on how many they thought they'd be able to sell at the (inevitably) less-exorbitant price once they started mass-producing the game again.
            "The nation that controls magnesium controls the universe."

-Matt Groenig

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
              Yes, you'd think so. After all, the sellers wouldn't be asking this price if they weren't getting it now and then. CEO Morgan would be proud, even if it is a crying shame that SMAX is priced out of the hands of good people.

Perhaps they'll be another Laptop Collection, where they bundled SMAC+SMAX and a few other worthless titles? As I recall the bundle cost ~$20/each. I bought a few and gave them to some friends. Now I wish I had them back. Heck, with a 5x increase in value they'd have been a great investment.

Hydro

Comment

I have SMAC - bought it for NZ$10 - then went online looking for SMACX - no way I am going to pay that much for it.
                I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Indeed CEO Morgan would be proud...

It is slightly cheeper from the UK site of Amazon I think (40 pounds and up) - but it is a used version.

Curious that there is such a price difference between the original game and Alien Crossfire - I guess they produced less Crossfire boxes than cl
                  McLaine

Comment

100 USD for SMAX?

Isn't that like 50 EUR, normal games cost around 20-40EUR.
                    Last edited by Heraclitus; May 22, 2008, 15:30.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                      100 USD for SMAX?
                      And you think that's too much for such a great game?
                      alphacentauri2.info * Alpha Centauri players group * IRC channel #smac

Comment

No, I was just checking if I got my facts straight. In fact all one has to do to get SMAX cheap is wait some time for the USD to drop further.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by McLaine
                          Curious that there is such a price difference between the original game and Alien Crossfire - I guess they produced less Crossfire boxes than cl
                          Speculation:

(1) I think there were copies of Alien Crossfire CD's that were sold directly to owners of Alpha Centauri. I watch the Mac versions and I've seen a couple of cases on eBay where a copy of Alpha Centauri was sold (including box, manual and tech chart) and the seller had only a copy of Alien Crossfire CD. I think that is why the manual and chart are included in PDF form on the Alien Crossfire CD.

(2) Only people who enjoyed Alpha Centauri are likely to buy Alien Crossfire. And if you enjoy Alpha Centauri, you're unlikely to sell either game. The people who don't enjoy Alpha Centauri are willing to sell, but they don't have Alien Crossfire.
                          Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

It is ridiculous.

Seeing as how I have legitimately bought it and lost it. I have managed to get a working copy from other sources. I still have the case and stuff to prove I owned it so I guess I am above board.

Comment

B - your example shows the wisdom of companies like Stardock (makers of Gal Civ 2). When you buy their product and register you can at a later date re-download the program you've purchased at their web site. A lost CD, changed PC, or defective/damaged CD will not slow you down.

I've already had on SMAX CD get destroyed by a malfunctioning drive (the grinding noise made my blood run cold). The damage was not repairable, so I was very lucky to have purchased a backup when the Laptop Collection was still available.

Hydro

Comment

Working...
                              X