Strange new bug...to me at least

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange new bug...to me at least

This isn't really a troubleshooting request. For one thing, my game is so heavily modded that it could only be troubleshot in place, or with mass uploading. For another, I have high hopes this is a one time thing. I've played innumerable games and never seen this before, and hopefully won't see it again soon.

So Zak and the boys are doing pretty good; holding their own in the tech race with the Gaians and the Cyborgs, kicking aliens out of Lal's bases in the jungle, thinking the arrival of airpower is imminent, and hopefully they'll get it first. A pretty good year goes by; a little border squabbling with the cyborgs, who chose to pact up with the aliens. I watch all the other factions moving around, my turn comes up...and I have three colony pods and a handful of troops standing where one of my bases used to be!

Used to be, because they are ALL gone!!

It looks a lot like what happens when the blight wipes out forests, where it really goes too fast to pick out any one square, but if you are leaning back you see a sort of swirling effect around the affected base. I'm sure in slow motion you would see each individual base vaporizing in turn.

The first time it happened I loaded the previous turn autosave, and did pretty much the same move, mostly...maybe... Anyway, things moved along for about ten moves before it happened again. This time I might have been more accurate about doing the same move on the reload, or might not have, it's hard to tell, but in any event this time the bug recurred.

I'm willing to write this one off to the aliens discovering some new secret weapon, but if anyone has seen this before and has something simple and clever for me to check I'd be happy to look deeper. I'll make a theoretically bugged save before I start over.
    Last edited by timsup2nothin; March 19, 2008, 22:48.

UPDATE:

The bug is indeed saved. Same thing occurs no matter what moves I make, including just hitting 'turn complete' immediately after loading. Now I'm questioning my previous observation though. My little pile of troops is actually NOT where a base used to be. It also seems to be a random location, though it is always (so far) in my previous territory.

Comment

This is a known bug. For example, see this thread. It happened to me once. AFAIK, there's no known workaround or fix.

Petek
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Thanks Petek. Good to know that I'm not alone in my teeth-gnashing. Also good to know that it isn't likely to repeat.

For the record, I didn't have any faction leaders locked up, but the aliens had Lal and I suppose it's possible that someone tried to spring him.

Comment

Working...
        X