At least SMAC still works!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At least SMAC still works!

I was working on aGalCiv2 Altaran United Federation of Planets sandbox game in a huge galaxy (with home made Star Trek-style ships – way cool!) and got the Blue Screen of Death. A graphics card error (NV_disp.dll) now reigns when I try to play GalCiv2, and nothing I’ve done (update graphics, bios, chipset drivers; verify no application conflicts; CPU not malfunctioning) has worked to correct the problem. Although my OS may be corrupt (!!!), I have to conclude that either my GForce 5200 graphics card or RAM is toast on my 3.5 yr old Dell.

So, with a motherboard (Intel DQ35JOE) and CPU (Core 2 Quad Q6600) gift from my brother in law I’m going to build a new rig. I haven’t done that since the early 90s, and I wonder if it will be as big a pain in the tush as it was then. Knowing Microsoft and XP (no Vista for me, thank-you-very-much) I expect to be screaming - a lot.

Fortunately SMAC still works!!! Ah, my ever present and much loved old standby. I can hear the beautiful Deirdre calling to me, whispering in my ear “Just one more turn, my love.” Her silky breath warms my cheek, and delicate nose playfully caresses base of my ear. I can feel her smile...

***ahem** Now, where was I?

Hydro

I recently bought GalCiv2 myself. While it is a fun addictive game, I found myself getting bored with it after only a few games. I found myself longing for SMAC again. A testament to how well made SMAC is, that I could play it off and on for a decade and still want more; verses its closest modern successor which had me bored after only a few weeks. Viva la SMAC!
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I've started playing SMAC recently. It has much more staying power than GalCiv2.

Plus the vision it presents of possible future ideologies is indeed profund. The game as a whole has a powerfull message.

I can see the new Man who shall arise out of the Hive. All hail the glorious chairman!
      Last edited by Heraclitus; March 19, 2008, 18:46.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I'm currently trying to force myself ot like GalCiv2, I just can't get the hang of it.

Comment

I absolutely love the shipbuilder in GalCiv2, I can spend hours designing my newest battleships . I also like the beam/missile/bullet and corresponding armors combag system.

But the factions in SMAC have much more depth then the civs from galciv, and the lack of multiplayer or a map editor is just crippling in the long term

Definitely looking forwards to twilight of the arnor expansion...
          Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
          -Henrik Tikkanen

Comment

Livid Imp – I’ve wandered away from GalCiv2, but I’ve never put SMAC on hold. No other SF game of its type comes close.

Heraclitis - I see Chairman Yang stomping on the face of humanity forever (to paraphrase Orwell's 1984) if his vision for a 'new man' comes to pass. But I have to agree that Yang has a profound (but dark) vision for humanity.

The various factions do offer a distinct set of ideologies, even if the struggle is somewhat the same.

Xian – there are lots of good GalCiv2 hints on their boards. There are some buried in the Apolyton GalCiv2 site, too. The GC AI is very good, and mistakes will be punished.

MarkJ – yes, the shipbuilder is great fun in GalCiv2. After playing the game for a while I just rediscovered it and was designing some pretty darn cool Star Trek style ships. I hope Twilight expansion has more pieces that can better accommodate the aft hull sections, though. Those are a bear.

After quite a while I have developed some affection for some of the GalCiv races (Altarans primarily), but there isn’t nearly the depth a SMAC. That said, GalCiv2 is a very good game.

BTW, did you folks know that there is a GalCiv2-SMAC mod in the works? I don’t think it has gotten very far yet, though.

Hydro

Comment

Working...
            X