SMAX under current technology?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX under current technology?

I want to play SMAX. I want to play REALLY REALLY BAD.

I've got an old copy of both SMAC and SMAX. I used to be able to emulate it under Cedega (linux), but for some reason, that's just not working any more (runs really slow and unstable). And, wonder of wonders, I now have access to a roomate's Windows machine! But still, it will not work. (And no suggestions about trying to run the Loki version... that comes even less close to working on a modern Linux kernel!)

I can get SMAC working just fine. If I install SMAX, it won't work. I install the compatibility patch and change "FORCEOLDVOXEL" and "Classic SMAC" works again, but SMAX still initiates an instant crash-to-desktop (doesn't even look like anything starts). If I try to start it up directly (double-clicking smacx.exe), Windows complains that it is not a valid 32 bit executable.

Am I unique in this, or is it just really, really hard to get SMAX working on a modern platform?
    To those who understand,
    I extend my hand.
    To the doubtful I demand,
    Take me as I am.

No, you are not alone. Various problems happen to other people too. Search this forum for answers, I think I've seen crash-to-desktop before somewhere here.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

What you might check quickly is try these in .ini file:

DirectDraw=0
      ds3d=1
      eax=1

also search SMAC general/help using these words:
      crash desktop
      i got several good hits, this thread is quite extensive:
      Mart
      Map creation contest
      WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Now that I've finally got my account updated (my email had changed since the last time I posted here), I can thank you guys for helping me out. First off, simply patching Alien Crossfire (with the latest patch) seemed to help Windows at least recognize the file for what it was. Of course, I have the CD crack installed as well, so I can put away the disk. But I'm playing now. Thank you!
        To those who understand,
        I extend my hand.
        To the doubtful I demand,
        Take me as I am.

Comment

Working...
        X