My Lack of Vision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Lack of Vision

I am playing as Morgan in a SMAniaC Mod MP. That evil Maniac made changes in the factions, and I was not paying attention. Morgan gets -2 Support off the bat. ACK! No free 10 mins when founding a colony for a defender, terraformer, or whatever! This really hurts in the early game especially. Then there is the horrible fact that I can only support 1 unit for free, which absolutely cripples early and small bases (aren’t all early bases small?). THEN I don’t have my 100 Morgan energy to start, so no rush buying for me. The +1 energy is great, but I am surely being punished for my lack of vision (to quote a famous Evil Emperor). I should know better: -2 Support is tough.

My opponent took the Templars, one of Maniac’s new factions. I considered them but dismissed them since the -3 Planet and -1 Efficency would be crippling. It turns out that hasn’t slowed them down in the least. It is now 2131 and they are close to finishing their 5th colony pod while I have two.

Then there are the worms. I’m not sure whether the Evil Maniac has tweaked the game mechanics, but the worms are pouring out of the fungus. I had 4 show up over two turns. Worse, since I have -1 Planet (all factions have this) and since each -1 Planet gives you a -15% Psi I am LOSING when attacking MWs. Then the worms have their way with me. This feels worse than running FM in SMAC!

**Sigh** The worm attacks have already ravished one base, wrecking a colony pod in production and taking it from size 2 to 1. My few scouts have died like stuck pigs. I can’t afford to build and support terraformers. Evil Maniac is making me work hard. Blast him!!

Hydro

I've not played the mod, and it sounds quite difficult. But I do enjoy the feeling of 'surviving' the early game, making it into the later eras finally on top of things with the help of the later techs.

I might look into it.

Comment

Well at least you can popboom... later in the game.

Only read if you don't mind knowing what your opponent perhaps has in store with the Templar:

Spoiler:
      The idea behind the Templar faction is that they don't care about Planet, but nonetheless are very skilled human-centric psi talents.

So while they have -3 Planet, meaning a fungal or mind worm approach wouldn't work for them, this is more than compensated by other boni and they have in fact the best psi offense of non-native units. Try out a game with them heavily using the psi attack weapon and psi defense armour, unit components which I assume aren't often used otherwise. This faction I like very much among the new ones I added, because it adds a gameplay aspect (conventional psi attack/defense) which was completely left unused in unmodded SMAC.

^+25% Bonus when attacking enemies, from the military application of psionics.
      ^Empath Song ability FREE to all units upon discovery of Centauri Empathy
      ^+30% Psi combat strength: {The Order of the Templar develop their psionic talents for offensive use}
      ^-3 PLANET: {Disregard for Planet's native life - the Templar serve only their own interests}
      ^Robustness for PLANET penalties in social engineering
      ^-1 EFFICIENCY: {Large empires harder to run by a small elite}
      ^Impunity to ANTHROPOCENTRIC penalty: {The Templar's disregard for Planet does not entail a disregard for psionic affinity}
      ^Cannot choose Empath ruling elite: {Rival psionic talents form a threat to the Templar's domination}
      Last edited by Maniac; February 21, 2008, 21:16.
      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

What is funny is that I read the stats on the Templar, having dug into the data files of the Mod. But I guess I didn't get it. All I saw were negatives.

Well, I suspect that MasterBuilder will clean my clock. He's already extorted tech and 120 megacredits from the AI Briens. I am deeply suspicious that I am nearby since I just found the Uranium Flats and think that MB mentioned that in one of his story posts. If I'm nearby I am so toasted - well done - crispy.

That will be the ultimate payment for my lack of vision!

Hydro

Comment

Working...
        X