Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista instalation problem

Hi,
    I am trying to install AC on my 32-bit Vista Business. When I enter the CD, the autorun normally works. However, when I click to install, nothing happens.
    When I check in task manager, there are two tasks from AC: setup.exe and wowexec.exe. They don't do anything, no cpu nor ram usage. I left them to run for some time and nothing happened. When I terminate them, there is a message about Win 16 Subsystem being unstable.

Help please.

I don't have Vista, so I can't test any advice. However (if you haven't already done so), try running setup with the Administrator account. As I understand it, you have to use the actual admin account, not some other user that has admin rights.

HTH

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

I am using the Administrator account and I have User Account Control turned off, so user rights shouldn't be a problem at all.

Comment

Yet another reason to stay away from Vista. I'm building a new PC and will install XP.

Good luck mulek!

Hydro

P.S. I'm keeping my old PCs to ensure backward compatibility - so to speak.

Comment

OK, so user rights aren't the issue. My next suggestion would be to create a shortcut to setup.exe, go to shortcut's compatibility tab and experiment with various options.

Also, is the CD scratched or dirty? Perhaps cleaning the disc would help.

HTH

Petek
          -- Kosh

Comment

The wowexec.exe is a 16 bit emulator for 32 bit maschines so don't kill that.

I assume that you have some antivirus running - have you tried to disable that during installation ?
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Petek:
              None of the compatibility options worked, with or without using 256 colors, lower resolution etc.

The CD is in working condition, i.e. it was working on XP about 3-4 months ago. Then it was waiting without even breathing, in its box. It is clean.

BlackCat:
              I kill wowexec only when after a lot of time nothing happens.

The antivirus is disabled.

Comment

And I guess that you have seen this.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes, I've seen this, but still thanks for directing me there

The problem is I can't even run the setup.exe, thus install the game.

Comment

Ok, a last shot from me (I don't have vista myself, so it's really a long shot).

What are the properties for setup.exe on the CD ? Can you change to "run in XP compat" or like if it isn't set to it. Maybe set to run as admin.

A quick google shows that others have installed it succesfully, so it's proably your vista that are messy.

Good luck.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

mulek,

You might want to look at item #59 in the FAQ. It discusses problems installing AC on Win XP, but you might find something that applies to your problem.

If you haven't already done so, you also might want to look at old threads from the last year or so. Several concern installation problems. However, I don't recall anyone else having the problem that the setup program runs, but then freezes at the initial screen.

Petek
                      -- Kosh

Comment

Here is link to problem solved, that I had with vista and XP compatibility patch:
                        Mart
                        Map creation contest
                        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Petek:
                          no luck

mart7x5:
                          I can't even install the game, so unfortunately your link doesn't help. I have UAC turned off already, so turning it off won't help...

I copied the CD contents to my hard drive. Setup still doesn't start, although I tried running in compatibility with every possible OS.
                          When I start terran.exe, the game starts, but it is so extremely buggy, that you can't play it.

Comment

Hmm ... running out of ideas. I found a thread on Civ Fanatics where Percy had a similar problem. He was finally able to get setup to run by disabling his firewall. Any help?

Petek
                            -- Kosh

Comment

Can't you just copy the SMAC instalation from another PC? It doesn't need any registry entries or whatnot to run. It's been several years since I've performed my SMAC install on Win2k and I can play it just fine on XP or Vista.

Comment

Working...
                              X