This forum rocks, thanks for all the help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This forum rocks, thanks for all the help

Had to thank this forum for helping me resurrect Alpha Centauri (and alien crossfire, which I had never heard about till recently).

After gametap lost the rights to alpha centauri I went trudging for my original CD. Not finding it I went online, an 8 dollar Alpha Centauri was going to be a steal till I saw there was an expansion (I was totally clueless about it). Of course shelling out the extra 100 bucks for an expansion to this awesome game was a no brainer for me.

Then I found out how much a pain having the latest PC's can be with vista making my alpha centauri life a chore.

Though finding this forum made it much much easier.

Following the various threads that pointed to: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-games/...der-vista.html

I got SMAC to run perfectly but then SMAX was giving me the hardest time. It would crash going through the planetary edition screen or directly hitting terranx.exe.

But reading through the various FAQ's and threads you all got me through it. Yes I can slap my head about this one, if others are having problems with running SMAX through vista follow all the instructions in the link posted substituting terran.exe with terranx.exe and instead of running in win95 mode, run it in win xp(sp2) and it boots up like a dream.

I run both programs through the compatibility administrator just to be safe, but other then that it rocks.

Thank you again guys, now time to dive into a world I didn't know existed (I must have been living in a vacuum to have missed out on Alien Crossfire, 8 years wasted bah)

Sincerely,
    An indebted player
Working...
X