Alpha Centauri and Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Centauri and Vista

I've had terrible trouble getting AC to run with Vista. I've googled around, and none of the fixes seem to work for me, largely because when I try to install the application, I get the error message "C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\CONFIG.NT. . This required system file is missing. Choose 'Close' to terminate teh application" (16 bit Windows Subsystem is in the titlebar of this window) and the installer ends.

Now, by copying the CD's files to my harddrive, I can run the application by clicking on terran.exe. However, if I do that I don't get the sounds and the wonderful little movies that are part of the Alpha Centauri experience.

I think that if I copied the folders containing the soundtrack and the movies to the appropriate folder in the same directory as terran.exe, I could have a properly running game, just like I used to have when I was using WinXP.

Can anyone tell me when I ought to put these files and what directories they should be contained in?

Thanks

Is the file CONFIG.NT present in the folder C:\Windows\System32? If not, search your hard drive for this file and (if found) copy the most recent version to the System32 folder. I think that should fix your problem.

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Is the file CONFIG.NT present in the folder C:\Windows\System32? If not, search your hard drive for this file and (if found) copy the most recent version to the System32 folder. I think that should fix your problem.

Petek
      Truly you are a prince among men!

I had to copy autoexec.nt and config.nt to the System32 folder, but after that AC itself installed OK. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by I_pity_the_fool

Truly you are a prince among men!
        Why do you belittle Petek in such an horrendous way ?

He is the Oracle of Delphi with the exception that his messages is understandable.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

@I_pity_the_fool: Glad to hear that you're back up-and-running.

@BC: But I am a Prince.

Petek
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
          X