Alien Crossfire will not install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alien Crossfire will not install

Ive been playing AC for years, and I just now got AX.

However, when I try to install AX, the install screen tells me that I don't have AC installed. I have AC installed in the default location, and have no difficulty playing it. I have tried running both the autorun and running the SETUP.EXE directly from the CD, and the same thing happens on both. I have also tried running it in compatibility mode for earlier OSs, but no luck with that.

I am running XP SP2, and the only patch I currently have installed is the SMAC Win 2000/XP Update.

Any suggestions on what to do?

This is just a hunch, but maybe the expansion (which is from 1999 I think) doesn't recognize SMAC because of the 2000/XP Update. Please try uninstalling SMAC, reinstalling without the Update (or perhaps patching just to v4.0) and then installing Alien Crossfire. If the install works, you can apply the 2000/XP Update afterwards. Good luck!

Comment

okay, that let me install AX, but now both games give me the "cpu not supported" error, no matter how I try to start the games. I installed AC, played it with no errors, then installed AX, and got the error. I tried installing the 2000/XP Update, still got the error. I then installed the Crossfire 2.0 update, but it still gives the the cpu error

Comment

Glad to hear that you're (almost) up and running with SMAX. If you haven't already done so, try clicking OK when you get the CPU error. On some systems, that gets you into the game. Otherwise, see the following item from our FAQ:

34) Q: When launching Alpha Centauri. I receive the error message "CPU not supported". My computer has a Pentium 4 or newer CPU.

A: You will need to modify a line in the Alpha Centauri.ini that is located in the game folder. To do this:

Double click on My Computer
        Double click on the C: Local Drive (your Hard Drive or the drive that the game is installed to)
        Double click on the Program Files Folder
        Double click on the Firaxis Games Folder
        Double click on the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Folder]
        Double click on the Alpha Centauri.ini File (The file looks like a read me text file with a little gold symbol on it).

Once the file is open in Notepad, change:

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Be sure to save your changes, then run the game. You may still receive the error message. If it occurs, click OK and the game will load fine.

If you are Installed Sid Meier's Planetary pack then their will be no Alpha Centauri.ini File initially. Upon attemping to play the game and
        clicking ok despite CPU being unsupported the ini file will be produced. Then simply change the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1. Or if necessary copy ini file from original SMAC.

HTH

Petek
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

thanks that worked

Comment

capnkyle: now that you're up and running, where did you get your copy of SMAX? I've been getting outbid on eBay for second-hand copies.
            "Violence is the last refuge of the
            incompentent" -- Isaac Asimov
            (Foundation)

Comment

my uncle got both games when SMAX came out, but he didnt play them that much, and eventually put them away. a few weeks ago, he was going through his garage, and came across the disks again. he knew i liked SMAC, so he gave me SMAX, and thats how i got it.

Comment

Originally posted by capnkyle
                my uncle got both games when SMAX came out, but he didnt play them that much, and eventually put them away. a few weeks ago, he was going through his garage, and came across the disks again. he knew i liked SMAC, so he gave me SMAX, and thats how i got it.
                Some people is really lucky

Congrats...I think if you want to find a game today you should be very lucky. I don't know if you still can find is in USA but didn't some company (EA?) make a planetary pack?
                What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

Working...
                X