Just a little trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little trouble

I have an older version of SMAC, which runs fine, but if I try to install a patch or the SMAX demo I get the CPU error and it crashes. I have followed the suggestions in the FAQ posted here, but it didn't help.

I am on Win XP with an AMD Athlon 3700+ processor.

Ultimately, I'm content to just reinstall the game and play the older version, but I would at least like the faction files and graphics for the SMAX factions. I currently use a customized faction with the graphics files for the Pirates faction from the demo but I would like to see/use the other factions as well sometimes.

So, I would appreciate these files being available to download or emailed to me, or another approach to get the newer game versions to work. Thanks for your help.

Is the error "CPU not supported" followed by a crash to desktop? If so, you need to download the SMAX Windows 2000 compatibility patch from firaxis.com, and then navigate to the Alpha Centuari folder in the firaxis folder in program files, then find the file "Alpha Centuari.ini". Open it, and change the line "ForceOldVoxelAlgorithim=0" to ForceOldVoxelAlgorithim=1". That should fix it. I had the same problem re-installing it myself.

P.S. That is, unless you've got Vista. I'm not sure how to get that to work.

Comment

I guess things were done in the wrong order when I tried it last, but it did work this time. My thanks.

The faction files would still be nice if anyone is willing to supply them

Comment

Working...
      X