Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Factions on Game Start

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me. I;ve been playing huge games on SMACX in my spare time. The annoying thing is that the game is missing out factions when the game is generated, even though they are in the Alpha Centauri INI file as being there (checked using the Scenario Editor.) Once I played for a while only to find out I was only playing against 3 other factions The alphax.ini seems to look ok, any ideas?

Cheers
    Drew

Next time you play a game, make a save of the game at the very beginning. I'm betting that the three missing factions were taken out early. Even on a huge map, factions can often be placed within a few squares. If the faction scout is exploring (as the AI is wont to do), it is very easy for another faction's exploring scout to walk in unimpeded into the one and only base of the first faction and defeat the faction. This is especially true if you have the do or die option on.

If that option is off, the defeated faction will be relocated, but it will be very weak and vulnerable to quick defeat.

If you've saved the game at the beginning, you can always go in with the scenario editor after the game has ended and see the starting locations.

If you've played for awhile, it is very possible that the Spartans, Hive or the Believers have eliminated the University, the Gaians and Morgan before you had a chance to meet them.
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Ecosse,

Are the Cult, Usurpers or Caretakers in the game? They don't show up until MY 2105 or 2106.

Do you get popup messages to the effect that such-and-such a faction has been eliminated? If so, that would indicate that one faction eliminated another one early in the game.

What size maps do you play on? I noticed the missing factions when playing on really large maps (256x256). They were not being eliminated by other factions or native lifeforms, as I verified by looking at the scenario editor on turn 1. I found a workaround: Create and save several really large maps (256x256, or whatever you like). Load one of these maps when starting a new game. After I started doing this, I never ran into the "missing factions" problem. I also found that using this technique usually resulted in better starting locations for all factions.

HTH

Petek
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm playing games with maps of the size 200x200 or 256x 256 so I'm thinking its this that is the problem. If I load the scenario editor from turn 1 some of the factions just don't turn up to play.

I didn't release the cult doesn't show up until later actually, but then again sometimes one of the aliens don't show up at all.

Anyway, I'll try the pre-gen map approach. Thanks!

Cheers
        Drew

Comment

Working...
        X