Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are sensor arrays owned?

Hi,

Fairly new to SMAC here and had a question that I haven't seen asked anywhere, depsite looking/reading FAQs etc.

Are sensor arrays owned by the side that builds them?

If I capture an enemy base and some of its sensor arrays are left in tact then are they now mine or do they still belong to the enemy? If they belong to the enemy then I'm guessing I need to destroy (and probably rebuild) them. If not then who owns the ones outside base areas?

If sensor arrays aren't owned by a side then does that mean they offer a defensive bonus to all units, friend or foe, within range? If that's the case then what if I have a base with sensor arrays and the enemy are within range of them but not attacking. Would they gain a defensive bonus from the sensor arrays I built if I attacked them?

Apologies in advance if this has been asked somewhere before.

Sensors arrays are not owned by the side that builds them. If they are within your base territory, they give the base owner the defensive bonus.

Some players aim to build a sensor array on a chosen base site and then build the city base on top of the sensor, giving the base units the defensive bonus.

I am not sure what happens if you build a sensor array out side of your territory as a early warning post and you have a military unit nearby and so does an enemy. I guess the nearest unit to it benefits.

That's how I see it operate.
    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Interesting question about how sensors behave when not in anyone's territory. I would have guessed something similar to Hercules. However, I spent an hour or so playing around in the scenario editor and discovered the following:

If you build a sensor that's not in anyone's territory, then:

* The sensor has no effect on the map (i.e., does not reveal fog of war, does not reveal AI units, does not reveal unexplored squares).
      * However, the sensor confers a defensive bonus to any faction's unit within sensor range.

Somewhat unexpected, but would seldom come up in real games.
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Some players aim to build a sensor array on a chosen base site and then build the city base on top of the sensor, giving the base units the defensive bonus.
        The advantage of building your base on top of a sensor is twofold: First of all, it can't be taken away from your base due to border fluctuations. Second and more importantly, it can't be destroyed by invading troops or airstrikes/artillery bombardment.

Comment

rather odd...
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I wanted to know what happens when you build a sensor array in no-man's land as sometimes I have a road or mag tube to a distant base and use sensor arrays along it to offer some protectection against surprises.

Thanks for taking the time guys. Good answers!

Comment

I remember in my first SMAC game ever conquering the Believers, and pillaging all sensor arrays in their former territory, because the sensor array graphic has some orange in it. Meaning those damn Believers could still see all my units!!!
              Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
              Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Once my base was attacked with a sensor array on the base square and it did not confer the bonus. Could have been a fluke. Everyone else says it works.

Comment

Regarding sensor arrays within your own territory (they don't have to be within a base radius to confer advantages to units within 2 squares, just within your territory), those sensor arrays only confer the defensive bonus to your own units, UNLESS the enemy's units are positioned right on top of the sensor array, in which case they confer defensive advantages to both...I think.
                  Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron

The advantage of building your base on top of a sensor is twofold: First of all, it can't be taken away from your base due to border fluctuations. Second and more importantly, it can't be destroyed by invading troops or airstrikes/artillery bombardment.
                    Plus, they don't take up any space when your base in on top of a sensor.

Otherwise, then inhibit the building of other things like condesors or boreholes. You can't have a sensor on the same square as these.

Mead

Comment

Good point. Forgot to mention that bit. Though personally I have enough forests out there that I don't have to worry about supplanting terraforming for beacons.

Comment

Working...
                      X