No announcement yet.

Why is Alien Crossfire 120$ on Amazon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like Modders are wasting time working with a game that is out of print and few people have.

I was excited about the mods until I saw that they needed SMACX.

Comment

Plenty of us have SMAX

Originally posted by TLF
      Seems like Modders are wasting time working with a game that is out of print and few people have.
      One of the reasons SMAX is so expensive if that few people who have it are willing to sell it.

Personally, I have several copies of SMAX. When I was on Windows, I bought a copy. When I switched to Mac, I bought TWO (that was when they were running for about $20). It is a great game. Like many here, I don't like the new factions. That's OK, just play SMAX with the original 7!

Some don't like the Cloudbase Academy, so when playing MP, they have the CMN disable that feature.

What SMAX has is new native life which adds a challenge (got to love those spore launchers firing from an Isle of Doom), and some a special ability that mitigates the all powerful effect of the Hunter Seeker Algorithm.
      Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Conversely I quite like the 2 alien factions (although I have modded the alphax.txt to put nervegas wayyyy down the tech chart to give the scaly devils a better chance)

I had an awesome parallel game a few years back with big_Canuck where we played two simultaneous games, one as the Usurpers and the other as the Caretakers. Lots of fun!!

Comment

I could have bought the expansion waay back but I decided not to and regretted it…

…Until the planetary pack appeared in a box of my cereal about a year ago.

The Cloudbase Academy (Mind-Machine Interface): If you want to get and keep air-
          superiority, GET THIS PROJECT! If you plan to make use of satellites in your
          game, GET THIS PROJECT! If someone else gets this project, GET THAT BASE! If you
          can't do that, nuke it. It's that important. Note though, that if you get this
          project, people WILL gang up on you, and if they don't, you almost can't help
          but win.
           It is unbalanced, but lots of fun. However not quite worth 120$

Comment

Originally posted by Dissociate
             It is unbalanced, but lots of fun. However not quite worth 120$
            I agree. SMAC is such a complete game (although there are bugs) that designing an expansion or a sequel is a challenge.

I'd like to see a more intelligent AI, a fix to the bugs that have been identified over 8 years of playing, the removal of some arbitrary limits (e.g. you can track only 15 units that are homed to a base, which does not make sense when you have clean reactors!), and increasing moddibility (The SMAX programmers were less concerened about moddibility than the SMAC programmers).

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much of a market for polishing a gem and re-releasing it. (Especially when IMHO SMAC is a more difficult game to master than Civ. Don't flame me! I like Civ!)

Comment

Oh it is most definitly a harder game to master but a much more rewarding one. I really really hope they release a SMAC 2 with the civ 4 graphics and some of the additons in Civ 4. I would really really love to have a pitboss version of AC. Sadly I don't see it happening as the original is now on gametap and that is where games go to die...

As for the original topic it is all about supply and demand. The supply is low very low and the demand is realitly high as the original is such a great game. I won't pay that much for it but if I could find a version for 60 I may very well buy it. Want to go that low kitten (US dollars of course)
              A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Comment

Originally posted by dacole
                I really really hope they release a SMAC 2 with the civ 4 graphics and some of the additons in Civ 4. I would really really love to have a pitboss version of AC. Sadly I don't see it happening as the original is now on gametap and that is where games go to die...
                I agree. I don't understand why the fact that SMAC is on gametap means there won't be a SMAC 2. If the copyright holder of SMAC was intelligent, exposing new gamers to SMAC would be a smart move prior to releasing SMAC 2.

Originally posted by dacole
                As for the original topic it is all about supply and demand. The supply is low very low and the demand is realitly high as the original is such a great game. I won't pay that much for it but if I could find a version for 60 I may very well buy it. Want to go that low kitten (US dollars of course)
                The supply is low because most of the people who own the game now wouldn't sell their copies. (I'm keeping my second copy in case something happens to my first.)

Comment

Originally posted by vyeh

The supply is low because most of the people who own the game now wouldn't sell their copies. (I'm keeping my second copy in case something happens to my first.)
                  Somehow I mananged, by accident more or less, to get 3 copies of SMAC and one of SMAX...that, and a CD crack for SMAX v2.0 make sure my CDs are nice and safe...

Comment

Working...
                  X