Mod help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mod help

I need help installing mods on my mac. How do I do it?
    The original game is getting boring.

By definition, a mod requires that you replace your alpha.txt file (if a SMAC mod) or alphax.txt file (if it is a SMAX mod). Usually other files must be replaced. For a comprehensive mod like SMAniaC, you would also replace additional files. The procedure for SMAniaC is basically this:

(1) Back up your main SMAC directory
    (2) Copy the files downloaded from the mod into your main directory.

Maniac recommends that if you have the disk space, it is best to clone your main SMAC directory, INCLUDING the Alien Crossfire program and modify the clone. Then you can play the mod or the original Alien Crossfire and if you don't like the mod, you can delete the cloned directory and avoid the issue of figuring out which files have to be restored.

There is also a Mod Manager for Windows. Since I'm on a Mac, I don't have experience with it.
    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

I don’t know about a Mod Manager. Vyeh’s suggestions of copying the entire directory is a good one, however, since the mods do replace quite a few game files.

I’ve played 2 SMAX mods, the latest of which is SManiac, which is very good. The thread is in Creation. It gives new SE choices, new factions, and re-orders and renames (!!) the tech tree. It plays like a different game.

I can’t recall the other mod, but it focused more on re-ordering the tech tree and pruning overpowered units (air power, and especially helicopters).

Hydro

Comment

****! I can't play it. It requires Alien crossfire which I ordered two days ago. Amazon actually had it... But don't search there. Use google.

Comment

Another option is to play scenarios. A scenario for SMAC is "Sword of the Righteous". You can find it in a thread by the same name in the Democracy Game subforum of the AC Multiplayer forum. Download the scenario file from the first post of that thread. Put it in your scenario folder. When you load SMAC, choose, Scenario, Play Scenario and choose the file.
          Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
          X