problem with playing, HELP!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with playing, HELP!!!!!!

I just installed the planetary pack and couldn't get anything to work. I then installed the Windows XP Compatibility patch and I recieved the error "CPU not supported" afterwards I went to the ini. file and changed the old number from 0 to 1.

It now lets me see the starting movie and I can complete part of the game configuration from the start menu, but after The Game rule section it causes an error and crashes to the desktop.

what do I need to do to be able to play this. I finally was able to purchase the Laptop Collection on EBay and would love to be able to play again?

All help is appreciated!

MusicalRabbi2k

See this thread and this one for general tips on fixing problems with SMACX.

HTH

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Hope you get it to work! I'm dreading when I have to switch from XP to Vista. Getting SMAX to work on XP can be hard enough. Luckily I've got a few old PCs (Win 98)squirrled away.

If you don't mind answering, how much did Laptop Collection run? That comes up every now and then, and the prices seemed a bit steep.

Hydro

Comment

I'm running Xp pro SP 2 and I haven't done anything but the voxel thing, and both SMAC and SMAX runs smoothly.

Oh, and I have directx 9.0c.

I too have PP and if I recall right, I just installed and set the voxel and then it worked.

Not much help I can give, but at least you now know it's possible
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
          I'm running Xp pro SP 2 and I haven't done anything but the voxel thing, and both SMAC and SMAX runs smoothly.

Oh, and I have directx 9.0c.

I too have PP and if I recall right, I just installed and set the voxel and then it worked.

Not much help I can give, but at least you now know it's possible
          Same with me.
          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro
            Hope you get it to work! I'm dreading when I have to switch from XP to Vista. Getting SMAX to work on XP can be hard enough.
            I actually found it very easy to get SMAX to work on Vista. Had no problems with it so far, easier than trying to get it to run on XP I reckon.
            Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Comment

Originally posted by Chaosahanu

I actually found it very easy to get SMAX to work on Vista. Had no problems with it so far, easier than trying to get it to run on XP I reckon.
              Did you try to install the compatibility update? In this thread mart7x5 was unable to do so. Just curious.
              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
              -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Petek

Did you try to install the compatibility update? In this thread mart7x5 was unable to do so. Just curious.
                I just tried installing it, and it went on with no problems. The game runs fine, not had any problems.
                Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist.

Academician Prokhor Zakharov

Comment

At first I was successful installing the patch and then I tried uninstalling it because I didn't realize that I needed to install Alpha Centauri by itself before. I thought that the Alpha Centauri on the planetary pack cd was enough, it wan't. I then tried reinstalling the Windows XP patch and got the same message as that person in that thread, even though I knew where I installed it. I played it twice without any problems after reinstalling the planetary pack after installing the regular Alpha Centauri. The next day I tried playing and it would start the process and try to load but nothing happened.

Lately I've had computer problems because I discovered a virus that hadn't been treated, so I took it into the shop. I'll see if it works after I get the computer back.

Thanks for all of the help

Comment

Working...
                  X