SMACX Planetary Pack on Vista

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMACX Planetary Pack on Vista

Has anyone had luck with patching SMACX PP under vista?

When changing setup.exe compatibility on the cd, I was able to install it. However I cannot patch it with XP patch. I keep getting Installshield error 1608 "can't create instance..."
    Search with google did not help much

I got virtualPC and put old Win98 in it. Both installs went ok over there.

something to always remember:
    keep your old operating systems!!!
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Just out of curiosity - what happens if you try to run without the patch ?

I have some vauge recollection that the PP doesn't need it, but then, that could be my mindworms being busy distorting my brain
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

mart7x5: If you only play SMAX and not SMAC, then you don't need to install the Win NT compatibility update.

If you do play SMAC, have you tried to install the patch by running it (the patch exe) in Windows XP (Service Pack 2) compatibility mode? Detailed instructions for how to do so may be found in item #58 of our FAQ.

Petek
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

BlackCat,
        As Petek responded, planetary pack is already patched to needed version regarding smax - needed is that most bugs are fixed.
        smac is not that so. game works, you just have more bugs.

Petek,
        Yes, I have tried it. I tried several things to get rid of the 1608 error on vista and all of them failed. tried tweak DCOM, update Installshield files. I'll see it later again. I haven't tried newest version 12 though, only patch version of Installshield that the smacx patch has, 7.2. ...

I forgot, PP has version smax 2.0 already.
        Mart
        Map creation contest

Comment

Found some new info, gonna try it today, then I'll report
          Mart
          Map creation contest

Comment

Problem solved, but using smth else:
            In User accounts and family safety >> user accounts the option User Account Control has to be turned off in order to install WinXP compatibility patch. Now Smac shows version 5.0. This solved error 1608, and it was about user privilages.

It works also without CD, though complains.
            Mart
            Map creation contest

Comment

Working...
            X