Smac mods [using more than 7 factions]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smac mods [using more than 7 factions]

I've been searching the net, with no luck. I tried searching these forums, again with no luck.

What I'm trying to find, is a way to use more than 7 factions for SMAC-X. I was hoping there was a mod that let you use more than 7 factions.

However, I've been unable to find anything at all on the issue. Not even a comment that it would be fun, not even a vauge referance that anyone has even though about it...

Help plz?

As far as I know the limit is hardcoded - probably the reason you can't find something about it.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

There have been some experiments (primarily by Darsnan IIRC) to flesh out the 8th, native life faction by giving it cities and other features typical to the other factions. I believe he had some interesting results, but not what he hoped for.
      "Cutlery confused Stalin"
      -BBC news

Comment

it seems we need to have either smac2 or clone of the original one for this.
        Mart
        Map creation contest
        WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Too bad. Playing all 14 factions would be more interresting. AI factions are generally weak, but a full 14 of them would help.

CIV 3 had new resources and stuff like that too.

Too bad Firaxis doesn't seem to prioritize SMAC2.

Every once in a while, I bug them about smac 2 :P

Comment

Originally posted by Caveat
            Too bad. Playing all 14 factions would be more interresting. AI factions are generally weak, but a full 14 of them would help.
            I'm not sure that I agree - IMHO the SMAC factions are much more individualistic than the CIV3 meaning they are more willing to fight each other.

I've dropped using the "factions more agressive" option since it apparently make them fight internally and not against me.

14 factions would just make worse since they would compete for resources.

Maybe fewer factions with matching SE choices and yourself with a nonmatching could be interesting
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

There's no reason to believe that adding more factions would make the game more challenging, it would just make the game more crowded. And you can accomplish the same thing simply by playing on a smaller map.

Comment

Oh, I'd want all 14 factions, on a very huge map, all factions, all flavours.

But more than that, I wish you could customize maps more. The game is all about customization, yet you have fairly little control over how planet is built. Oftentimes when we play MP, we have several restarts before the map is any good.

Ah well. I still enjoy the game plenty. I just hope firaxis comes out with smac 2, and I hope they keep the versatility and customization level as high. More helpful datalinks and a few other improvements would be great too. Newbies never know what to tech, and I quickly lose control myself, once mid-game is coming to an end, and late game approaches.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
                  There's no reason to believe that adding more factions would make the game more challenging, it would just make the game more crowded.
                  Its not that it would make it more challenging, but more interesting and more realistic. In real life on Earth there are well over 150 different nations competing for markets and resources. With only 7 factions you can't have the really cool WW1 type "war to end all wars" scenarios with complex interplays between groups of factions.

AC would be a much better game with *many* more factions - I'm talking like 30+

Comment

I think a combination between the engine for Medieval 2: Total War/Rome: Total War and SMACX would be the bomb.

Comment

One of the charms of SMAC (but not necessarily SMAX) is the ideological opposition. Having a boatload of factions would dilute this in the original, and even for the expansion. It might, as has been suggested, become like faceless Civ4.

Hydro

Comment

You apparently can't have less either--commenting out the two alien factions brings up a confusing 'choose faction' screen with nothing but a picture of the last selected faction :|

Comment

well, you could load up 6 Hives, or maybe Hive + Sparta + conclave + pirates + caretakers + usurpers and you can be PK or Morgan. That might be a tuff one.

Comment

*lol*

That's how our games usually run.

I usually play Peacekeepers or Drones, and the rest are usurpers, caretakers, belivers, hive, spartans and conciousness.

Keeps you on your toes

Comment

Working...
                            X