Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any way to turn off auto-designing in the workshop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any way to turn off auto-designing in the workshop?

I love the workshop, and I also like to design the units that I will actually use, that are cheap and effective. But I hate my "crew of designers" that will repeatedly, everytime I get a new tech, design a host of less effective and more expensive units. For example: I don't need defense units without trance ability when I can get the same model for the same price WITH trance ability.

And also, for assault units, they are simply worthless without some armor and too expensive with too much armor. But the auto-designers keep producing only the worthless defenseless units or those too expensive models to be built in time, along with duplicates of those models I have already designed myself. The duplicates are really annoying. I keep retiring these models and yet they come back for every new tech that doesn't provide any new unit module.

Another madness from these auto-designers is that they always want to use the latest engine even when it would be most cheap to keep the earlier engines. Which means that most infantry and all non-combat units (scouts, formers, spies, crawlers, colonies) get to cost up to three times that of my own designs.

Isn't there some way to turn off this auto-designing? I don't want to scroll through a bunch of unnecessary prototypes everytime I want to change production in a base. It would be nice to be able to simply design and prototype a new unit when one of my bases are ready for it instead of whenever a new tech is found.

Re: Is there any way to turn off auto-designing in the workshop?

Originally posted by breffie
    Isn't there some way to turn off this auto-designing?
    Yes! From the Menu in the lower left corner of the game screen, select Game, Preferences. Deselect the Design units automatically option. I also like to disable the Auto-prune obsolete units option.

Petek
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

I don't know if this bug exists in the Windows versions, but in the Linux port that option does not seem to apply to new reactors. I dread getting quantum power and singularity mechanics because by the time I get them I'll have a bunch of designs which will then get duplicated for the new reactors
      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala
        I don't know if this bug exists in the Windows versions, but in the Linux port that option does not seem to apply to new reactors. I dread getting quantum power and singularity mechanics because by the time I get them I'll have a bunch of designs which will then get duplicated for the new reactors
        The same thing happens in the Windows version. It's not quite the same as auto-design, though, since only pre-existing units get the new reactor. I find it useful to prune unneeded unit designs and upgrade older units just before I discover a new reactor.
        "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
        -- Kosh

Comment

Working...
        X