Incompatible Processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incompatible Processor

So, now that I finally have a new PC, I decided I'd start playing SMAX again, only to encounter woe and error messages. As soon as I start the game, it says my CPU is not supported. I went to the FIRAXIS site, downloaded their patches and installed them, still the same problem. Got an ADM Athlon 64 X2 dual 3800+. Anyone any idea what's the solution?
    Fire and ice and death awaiting. But he was steel, he was steel.

Can you just cancel or skip the messages and play anyway? Your processor didn't exist when SMAC was made, but should clearly be capable of playing the game. I think I've seen that message before too, but it never stopped the game from working perfectly well.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Alas no. I can click 'okay' but afterwards it just goes back to windows.

Comment

You do need to click "OK" on that message.

Also, open "Alpha Centauri.ini" in Notepad. Under [PREFERENCES] change the line

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0
        to
        ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

If the line isn't there, add it (with the 1).
        Then save and close the file.
        I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

That did the trick, thanks! I have the feeling the error didn't have anything to do with the CPU after all?

Comment

I think it does. It was complaining about my AMD 64 3000+, but went quiet when I upgraded to Core 2 Duo.

Comment

Working...
            X