early unit build costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early unit build costs

I thought it was interesting that adding trance to a 1-1-2 rover increases the cost from 18 to 27. But if I also add Synthmetal, the cost goes back down to 18 (trance cost is 0 with Synthmetal). I'm running an early FM as Morgan, worms are popping up, and the Spartans declared vendetta when I refused to give them $50 right at the start of the game. Fun fun fun!

The 1-2t-2 rover is one of my early favourites. It's cheap, fast and versatile because it is equally suited for garrisoning, exploring and pod-popping. I tend to build them in large numbers which tends to create problems later when better armour becomes available and infantry garrisons become more cost effective. It's expensive to turn them into fast attackers because the synthmetal armour causes additional costs with each consecutive weapon upgrade. Keeping them around in addition to more modern garrison and attack forces is always an option, but it costs valuable support minerals. Despite these long-term problems, 1-2t-2 rovers are very useful during their heyday.

Comment

I love those little guys too. I tend to keep them around for anti probe action (to punish folks who don't have armored probes) and worm patrol. Although it isn't efficient to upgrade for attack, they many times make it through the end of the game.

Of course, you can always scrap them. I do that occasionally to get the resources for a SP before I have crawlers. It is much better to scrap them and get 1/2 construction cost than pay 4x in energy for the remaining cost of the SP. I'm usually a little poor during that part of the game anyway. Another useful trick is to construct probes, which are support free, and use them as production bank by scrapping at a base with a critical bit of infrastructure, unit, or SP. You can never have too many probes! Also, armored probes with trance can function as defenders in psi attack (defense only). In practice I almost never do this due to costs, though, and when I can afford it there are usually many more superior options.

Hydro

Comment

Working...
      X