AC tech question, sorry if wrong subforum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC tech question, sorry if wrong subforum

I get a message on startup saying that my cpu may not be supported, and after clicking either button it crashes to desktop. Is there issues with newer cpu's running this game?

I use XP, higher end P4 from 04 or so, not really sure what the holdup is.

Shout out some help por favor if you can. Don't know if anyone is even here.

We're here. Check the FAQ for a line regarding the "oldvoxel algorithm" or some such. I don't remember the exact details, unfortunately. I don't know of any reason you couldn't run SMAC on a new CPU (but I'm not a tech guy either). I run SMAC on a XP with no problems. Do you have the latest patch?

Welcome!

Comment

Have you checked the SMAC(X) FAQ list for answers? If none of those solutions fix your problem then post again, being more specific of what you've done to try to fix the problem, if you've installed all the patches, etc.

D

Comment

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

In your Alpha Centauri.ini file you'll likely see

[PREFERENCES]
        ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

Change that 0 to 1 and save it.
        This solves that crash about 99% of the time.

If by chance those lines aren't anywhere in the Alpha Centauri.ini (they're usually the first two lines), type them in at the beginning (with the 1).
        I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Working...
        X