Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP via Null Modem Cable?

MP via Null Modem Cable?
    Is it possible with SMAC and/or SMAX? I'm interested in a simple PC-to-PC connection. No routers, firewalls, etc.
    (I searched the forum but found nothing about this.)
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Not possible?
    Or has everyone forgotten what a Null Modem Cable is?
    I am on a mission to see how much coffee it takes to actually achieve time travel.

Comment

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're hosed for that endeavor. Suffer through a hotseat/pbem setup.

Comment

Bummer
        It would have been neat to sit either across the room or in separate rooms and give it a go.
        I suppose I could do a little light reading and learn how to set up a 2-PC LAN with all the necessary hardware. Would that work for TCP/IP?

Comment

As long as each computer has an IP, everything should work fine.
          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
          -BBC news

Comment

Yes, in fact thats my favorite way of playing; i just got finished with 50 turns doing this with 2 other friends.

Its quite easy to set up, as long as the computers get 2 different ip addresses and you have a ~15$ router

Comment

OK, now that that's settled -
              Can I do it if one computer runs Win98 and the other runs WinXP if both have identical installations of SMAC/X? (I think that answer is already in the FAQ, but wouldn't it be alright to put it here, too, since it's basically Yes or No?)

Comment

It should be okay, as long as you have the same version of SMAX. Also note (this is in the FAQ) that if you have installed the XP Patch on your XP machine, then you should install it on your 98 machine, too, in order to play MP.

Comment

Thanks for everything, everybody
                  Now I have only to introduce my girlfriend to the joy of playing SMAX herself (she's already aware of how much fun the game can be from watching and listening to me) and all will be complete in our tiny corner of the universe (I'll likely even let her play on the XP rig)

Comment

Working...
                  X