Keeping SMAC Fresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping SMAC Fresh

I’ve been playing SMAC since it came out in 1999 and I have to admit it holds a strange attraction even after all these years. However, I’ve thought about what keeps it ‘fresh’ and concluded that, depending on the circumstances, that it has not always been ‘fresh’. There were lengthy periods (months) when I didn’t do any SMAC. However, a few things have reinvigorated SMAC periodically:

* Starting again after a hiatus – as strange as it may sound, leaving SMAC for a while does make it feel new(er) when I return. It is easy to slip into one-more-turn, just like back in 1999.

* Multiplayer – I’ve had the good fortune to had quite a few multiplayer games, and these are always much more challenging. Of course, I role play my MPs and usually have restrictions set before we start. Quite a few of my MPs became quite heated, and it is very particular that I took actions by my opponents and the AI very personally – and acted accordingly. I find the blood-makes-grass-grow type MP to be pretty uninteresting since it tends to put the players in a straightjacket (e.g. – if you don’t do certain things or B-lines you’re typically doomed), but I love role-playing MP.

* Fiction – my MP tends to be an outlet for fiction, so I get to be a little creative. It also helps in immersion within the atmosphere of that particular game, and in making a turn more important.

* Special setups – one of the criticisms of SMAC is that the AI is more than a tad weak. To combat this some skilled folks out there have uber-AIs and special setups that give them a good boost. Googlie has set up a few games for me (MPs) where I was really concerned I was going to get run over, and had to make very hard decisions.

* Mods – I shied away from mods for a long time, but I recently tried the SMAniac Mod and was very pleasantly surprised. The tech tree had a very different flavor and, frankly, I’ve ended up liking it better than SMAC/X. This Mod had 7 of its own (very well crafted) factions, which is kind of strange, but I ended up liking that too even if some don’t have a great ideological underpinning. Also, the SE works differently – as do inter-faction SE-related diplomacy. Overall this mod made it a very different game. I suspect other mods are, too, and I hope the upcoming SMAC cIV mod will be the same.

Happy holidays all!

Hydro

Re: Keeping SMAC Fresh

Originally posted by Hydro
    I’ve been playing SMAC since it came out in 1999 and I have to admit it holds a strange attraction even after all these years.
    No other game has captivated me to this level!

... a few things have reinvigorated SMAC periodically:
    I think the following items are what have kept the game fresh for me:

1) the feedback from the community as far as what has (and hasn't) worked in my SP and PBEM game setups, as well as the ideas people have posited that I have built into games.

2) the modability of the game: you can do a lot with the Scenario Generator, as well as the alpha(x).txt and Faction.txt files. A lot of my best ideas have come from me just playing with the alpha(x).txt file and musing about things, like putting a gravship chassis onto Fungal Towers (to keep them from drowning when submerged), or giving IoDs and Sealurks the Marine Detachment capability.

3) Setting the game in the future where Mankind has gained FTL technology and settled many starsystems. This is where I am with the game right now. It allows my imagination to roam, and opens up all sorts of new vistas that weren't possible with the game confined to Planet. Currently I'm playing with the following premise: the Morganite Factional government has hired a Spartan Splinter Faction called "Merrill's Mercenaries" to infiltrate a planet and "ascertain" why the Morganites have continually failed to make inroads regarding trade and influence on this planet. Your Merc group will receive an additional payday if you can "convince" the local populations to enter into contractual negotiations with the Morganites.....

Happy holidays all!

Hydro
    Yes, Happy Holidays everyone!

D

Comment

Re: Keeping SMAC Fresh

* Mods – I shied away from mods for a long time, but I recently tried the SMAniac Mod and was very pleasantly surprised. The tech tree had a very different flavor and, frankly, I’ve ended up liking it better than SMAC/X. This Mod had 7 of its own (very well crafted) factions, which is kind of strange, but I ended up liking that too even if some don’t have a great ideological underpinning. Also, the SE works differently – as do inter-faction SE-related diplomacy. Overall this mod made it a very different game. I suspect other mods are, too, and I hope the upcoming SMAC cIV mod will be the same.
      I agree, I like Smaniac and some time ago played quite a number of games with it. However, is it only me who noticed that the game behaves a bit... differently when in Smaniac? For example, even if I play Green for a long time, I'm almost unable to capture any worms. In one game there was simply no message of either: "capture attempt failed" or "these worms are controlled by much higher power", just straight to combat. In another game all wild mind worms seemed to be controlled by that higher power even in very remote areas where there was no chance of eco-damage.

I also faintly recall someone mentioning he had routinely experienced unusual numbers of AAs popped in Smaniac.

Is it possible that the game could behave so odd with only text files modded?

Comment

Kirov,

For the SMAnica Mod, I've played most as Gaians. Since the default frontier SE is -1 planet (making the starting point 0 for Gaians - and no worm capture, which is a very different dynamic) I have a huge incentive to go Green. I can't recall not getting a good number of worms, but I'll keep my eye out for it. I do seem to remember getting a lot of AAs, but that could be anecdotal.

I know diddly and squat about modding. Perhaps others know.

Hydro

Comment

I've never played the SMAniac Mod.

But following these comments I might give it a try.
          On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Download the SMAniaC mod RIGHT NOW. It the 1st thing that should jump to mind when you say the phrase "keeping SMAC fresh"

Comment

Working...
            X