Boreholes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boreholes

People who've played SMACX have played MOOII, it seems like. In MOOII, you could get a core mine or something like that. Basically it was a huge borehole. The difference with the MOOII borehole is that it eliminated pollution. The planet populace would just throw all the pollution and trash into the core to be melted down or just left there. Kinda funny how the consequences between the two games for a borehole are different.

Hi Darrel01,

I think the difference is the setting. In MOOII planets were just hunks of rock with various mineral ratings and habitability. In SMAC the planet is alive, and it reacts to what we do. For Planet a borehole is a violent act, not at all friendly: “Excuse me planet. I’m going to rip a large hole in you and tear out some of your guts. Now, this won’t hurt a bit…”

Also, there is a difference between pollution and ecodamage. Pollution is what degrades the ability of the sentient creatures to live on the planet in MOOII, and it requires a certain amount of remediation (depending on the species tolerance). In SMAC it is more disruption of the ecology, which is the manifestation of Planet itself - and Planet's reaction when this level gets too high.

Hydro

BTW – I recently fired up MOOII, and was surprised that I had a good amount of fun: Klackons, tolerant, unification, -10 ground, large homeworld, low-G.

Comment

Interesting contrast-- Personally I usually am raping PLanet and have lots and lots of boreholes
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
      X