Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

256x192 Custom map - That "Indefinite Hang" Warning is no Joke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 256x192 Custom map - That "Indefinite Hang" Warning is no Joke!

In terms of game balance it actually is perfectly fine (although the Drones research penalty is now a little too harsh) but when playing on the aforementioned map I get a wait of TEN MINUTES OR MORE in between turns!!! The entire game freezes as if it were a crash but then picks up.

The save file is about 1.4 megs large

NOTE: This save is for SMAniaC, but the issue probably occurs almost as commonly on SMAC or SMAX maps of this size.

I play SMAX on 256x320 maps without problems - admitted, at some point turns gets longer but that dissapears when I start taking out enemy units and bases.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I opened your save in SMAniaC. After the Drone turn ended the game froze. I waited more than half an hour, but finally had to end task my way out.

Since I can play on 256x256 maps with no problem, this particular game may be corrupt. Or perhaps you are running into some internal limit on total number of units or something similar.
      "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
      -- Kosh

Comment

Whoa looks like your right, this particular turn wont end. For the past 8 or so turns the game had been runnign slowly but reliably

I also should mention that I have played on maps even bigger than this in the past, but usually running regular SMAX and for that reason they end earlier and tend to involve less total bases and units

Comment

I've noticed turns can run abnormally slowly when the AI gets stuck in a loop. In particular, I've seen the AI fly a needlejet up to a city, pause, move it to another tile adjacent to the city, pause, etc until it uses up enough movement the needlejet returns to base. Then the next needlejet dawdles by the base, and so on. Mag tubes can probably cause the same effect.
          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
          -BBC news

Comment

Quite rigth - try set formers to autoimprove base - after they have built tubes they can spend all their movements between several tiles and NOT get to a desicion what to do.

Yeah, I know, I know - only n00b's use autoimprove and governor, but late game I can't be arsed to micromanage several hundereds bases and formers
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Computer system?
              (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
              (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
              (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

WinXp Pentium 4 3.0GhZ ATI Radeon and 1 gig of RAM

My system has been exceptionally good with SMAC when it comes to bugs. The only time the game has ever crashed for me would be the rare Air-defense bug.

Its sad too, because this woudl have beena great game

Comment

Working...
                X