Challenge 30 smax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge 30 smax

For some time, I thought about a challenge scenario that would be on a small map. Huge maps are a bit difficult to handle in the late game, especially for persons who like to manage bases with more detail. This scenario uses custom size map - 30x60. I thought about a series of challenges like this. SMACX one would be coded: C30x, and SMAC ones: C30v (for vanila).
    ----------
    This game might use a name:
    Survive or Perish
    game code:
    C30x_01
    ----------

You play Spartans against 6 other factions: Hive, University, Morganities, PK, Drones and Pirates.
    AI factions are significantly enhanced. There are also new units, check datalinks, so you are less surprised. Some unit abilities, weapons are slightly moved due to pre-defined units. Doctrine Initiative gives now carriers and submarines.

Victory conditions:
    All without cooperative. AI accomodates appropriately, and having playtested the scanario, I can tell - trust noone.

Special rules:

1) Stockpile bug is not allowed.
    However, you may leave empty queue after facility or SP.

2) You have to either build SP Voice of Planet or conquer a base having it in order to win by Transcendence.

3) There is no deadline, also if you fail and want to restart, you are welcome to do so.

For ranking purposes:
    AC score counts with the following addition:
    - for completed game each turn before 2200 there is bonus +30 points.
    - for each turn after 2200 there is a penalty -30 points.

For Alpha Centauri.ini
    Faction 1=SPARTANS
    Faction 2=HIVE
    Faction 3=UNIV
    Faction 4=MORGAN
    Faction 5=PEACE
    Faction 6=PIRATES
    Faction 7=DRONE

Good luck and make positive scores!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mart; October 24, 2006, 16:55.
    Mart
    Map creation contest
    WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Re: Challenge 30 smax

Originally posted by mart7x5
    There are also new units, check datalinks, so you are less surprised. Some unit abilities, weapons are slightly moved due to pre-defined units. Doctrine Initiative gives now carriers and submarines.
    I like all the units available at Doc: Init, although giving Carriers before Doc:AP is a little puzzling

I also really like having the Pirates in this game, as I can't then beeline for Doc: Flex and then expect to rule the seas!

Also, as far as units are concerned, did you give the Unity crawlers Special Abilities simply for the purpose of increasing their cash-in value?

Originally posted by mart7x5
    [3) There is no deadline, also if you fail and want to restart, you are welcome to do so.
    Um, I think I'll be taking advantage of that option...

Anyways, the other note I have to make is that you beat me to adding a Police Unit at Intellectual Integrity! I'm actually experimenting with this now. I've added Synthmetal armor and cheapened the unit in order to get the AIs to build them.

D

Comment

Both Doc:Init and Doc:AP diverge from Doc:Flex. I did not want to give cruiser chassis when getting Doc:AP without Doc:Init. As far as I recall, this was the reason. It was difficult to find some close tech having both Doc:Init and DAP as prerequisite.

The Unity supply droid (crawler) has forced cost of 10 (1 row). It is also disabled. It cannot be built and its cash in value is anyway 1/3 of a "normal" crawler. This is in order not to give big advantage for a human player when cashing it in. It is best in crawling. Slow makes it unique, and together with scarlet cross (repair bay, that does not work anyway) makes it distinguishable on the map. I do not recall now, but when you have 2 the same units on the predefined units list, there were some problems. Kinda game engine autoupgrades one to another.
      Maybe slow ability is not needed at all, when repair bay is in place -> needs testing.

Police Guard
      I was experimenting with it too for some time. It looks like in this scenario I got AI to build them in more abundant numbers. 12, 13 and one AI got even 30, many more than number of bases and having only Police 0 rating (so only one is used). This makes one more worker in a base for AI.
      Problem, that Hive AI does not use them here. With Police +2, three such units would make 6 drones content.

As for some new units I am not sure if all will be used correctly by AI, but I think most of them yes. I noticed more AAA units designed by AI, but maybe it is my impression only. They have other bonusses making them build more military.
      Mart
      Map creation contest

Comment

Playtesting the scenario once again. You probably may expect quite various outcomes. Small map may influence how the game develops even when small events happen. In this one, either Yang or Lal popped an erthquake pod and Hive has hard time now with Lal.

Just lost race to PTS with Morgan. So the story goes this way. I noticed, Morgan was researching Ind Auto with breakthrough turn the same as mine. I delayed my tech expecting pacted with me Morgan would sell it to me or exchange. I even collected 100 EC for this purpose. It turned out (what was I thinking?) Morgan started to build PTS himself and refused Ind Auto. Few turns later I check progress:
        2145 Morgan PTS in 14 turns.
        2146 Morgan PTS in 12 turns.
        2147 Morgan PTS in 9 turns.
        2148 Morgan PTS in 6 turns (I rush remaining crawlers).
        2149 Morgan PTS in 0 turns (229/210). I lost!!!

How did he do it? I noticed built crawlers, and the rest must have been by energy credits.
        -----
        However, the commanders must celebrate. Conquering a base with a PTS will add to their glory.
        -----

The latest game, that I completed, the year 2265, and with correction of points for ending year the score is 790.

Planet history in few lines:
        The first serious conquest of Sparta was taking continental part of Morganities. He remained with his sea bases and even later there was a pact time again. Morgan when on sea in the late game was doing still excellent.
        Drones were first to go. In 2215 Sparta performed successful probe team action to free foreman Domai from UNHQ, however his faction had no place to settle.
        Zakharov was conquered shortly before transcendence in 2265 by Lal.
        Hive was doing very moderate. Mainly due to slow progress in technological advancement. Yang even started short vendetta against Sparta in late game with shard needlejets, they were though no match against Santiago's F-132.
        Svensgaard survived till transcendence in excellent shape. He also was able to get Epath Guild, his only SP.
        Lal was rulling better part of the planet. He also used 2265 a planet buster against the only spartan sea base.
        Last edited by Mart; October 19, 2006, 00:26.
        Mart
        Map creation contest

Comment

I could have guessed it, still it was a surprise:
          AI is making a good use of marine probe design. I left next to a PK base near my shore a SAM artilery unit. It was a neighboring tile, coast was my territory though. Lal spoted an opportunity, the marine probe first subverted my unit, and then infiltrated my datalinks (does it give to AI any bonusses?) I was wondering how the subversion happened for a moment, then I loaded a turn before and checked. As shown in the picture.
          Attached Files
          Mart
          Map creation contest

Comment

Spoilers
            Some hints that may help fast win:

Morgan has more energy. Early in the game, he often is inclined towards cooperation. Take a loan around 500EC, then ask him to sell to you 2 (or more) of his newly created bases, size 1, no units inside. They cost between 100-200 EC. You will gain new bases and territory fast, also Morgan will never be that strong later. It is abusing AI neglecting value of land and early bases, but it is not disallowed in this scenario. Later on bases cost easily several thousands (or more than 10k) and it's easier to conquer.
            Mart
            Map creation contest

Comment

Working...
            X