No announcement yet.

Crawlers - movement efficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, I was mistaken - just checked that out. I should be burnt alive, or fed to the mindworms.

Comment

Re: Re: supply crawlers

Originally posted by Chaos Theory

Once you discover Fusion, every crawler should be on a rover chassis, since a rover fusion crawler only costs three mineral rows, and upgrades much more efficiently than an infantry crawler. If you really have too many minerals, though, go conquer someone.
      QFT
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Re: supply crawlers

Originally posted by Darrell01

I've also just heard about One City Completion. Supply Crawlers are just the thing for this type of map. Crawlers and clean reactors for everything else, anyway. Once your food problems are maxxed, you can stagger solar panels and Eschelon Mirrors everywhere and even throw in drilled aquifers. Every single square... It would be a Planetary Energy Transit System...
        IN practice there are limits,particularly if dealing with a hostile AI. The biggest limiter in a one-city challenge is the obvious fact that you can only build one thing per turn.

If you play some of the tougher versions ( ie not permitted to build a unit with an offensive weapon) it also gets evry very tough to protect all your crawlers.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I don't always produce rover crawlers when I get fusion, sometimes I'd prefer to build an armored infantry crawler for the same price.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Trotsky
            Sorry, I was mistaken - just checked that out. I should be burnt alive, or fed to the mindworms.
            I was going to mention that specifically because in my games I always build tons of crawlers from my headquarters (usually with the Merchant Exchange)
            Last edited by Xian; October 18, 2006, 17:33.

Comment

Re: Re: supply crawlers

Originally posted by Flubber
              If you play some of the tougher versions ( ie not permitted to build a unit with an offensive weapon) it also gets evry very tough to protect all your crawlers.
              No offensive weapons?!?

I think I'll leave that variant to someone braver than I for the moment.

Comment

Being a Morganite, I'm an unrepentant planet-hater, so I'd definitely take the extra energy and movement from a river square over the manifold Nexus. Also, has it been shown that a better planet rating improves what you'll get out of the pods? So far as I know, the only factors are the proximity to your bases, in which I'll once again point out the superiority of an energy and movement advantage to promote early expansion over a combat advantage over the worms when the eventually do come.

In summation, the Nexxus is a nice feature to control if you're going with a green/momentum strategy to begin with, but it's not enough of a boon to alter your strategy if you find yourself astride it.

Comment

In practice, I find that in the mid-late game, I don't do that much en-route harvesting with my crawlers, simply because I plant my bases close enough together that tiles are either being worked or crawled already. To be sure, I'll do it when I can, but in most cases, when my crawler gets to an unworked tile, it stays there to work it.

Comment

I do believe CEO Aaron was supposed to put that upper comment in the "Manifold Nexus?" post.

Comment

Wow. Yeah. Nice mispost. Serves me right for having 19 windows open at once.

Comment

Working...
                      X