SMAC on Nintendo DS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAC on Nintendo DS?

I still love SMAC/SMAX on my PC. But Advance Wars Dual Strike on the Nintendo DS is really great. So great I wonder why someone doesn't make a PC version. The graphics aren't stellar but the gameplay is. And you can just close the DS if you have to do something else for a while, making a long-play game a lot more playable.

Wouldn't it be neat to have someone port SMAC to the DS? They wouldn't have to design a game concept, story, art, etc. because it's all been done. All they'd need to do is scale down the graphics, customize for 2 screens, and do whatever's needed to port to DS code.

Sometimes it's annoying to see game developers come out with brand new lame games, and wish that they took that energy and effort and put it into a SMAC port, because they don't have to use much creativity (evident that it's usually lacking when you see the lack of innovation in games these days) anyway...

1) Electronic Arts owns the rights and 2) there won't be enough market interest for this venture.
    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Nice idea, but I'm not sure that you know what you are talking about.

Your

All they'd need to do is scale down the graphics, customize for 2 screens, and do whatever's needed to port to DS code.
      idea is nice, but has some difficulties in the real world.

One of my RL jobs is to make some programs work with both Solaris unix and linux - mostly, it's easy, but on occation I get headaches - getting the same to work under Windows - well I cry a lot when that is nessacary.

Getting a program to work under a completely new environment can be a major pain in the ass.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's true that the coding takes work. But my point is that the game design (plot, gameplay, strategy, AI, etc.) is already done. So for a game company to consider this they already have much of the total work done.

Comment

Originally posted by Illuminatus
          1) Electronic Arts owns the rights and 2) there won't be enough market interest for this venture.
          That doesn't mean that it can never get onto a Nintendo DS. People sell rights, companies get commissioned, etc.

As for market interest... sure, I haven't done market research (neither has anyone else here) for this venture. But there's a market for Advance Wars, so I bet there would be for SMAC...

Comment

Having SMAC in a nintendo DS wouldn't be that of a crazy idea if SMAC were a DOS game - there is already a DosBox patched for PSP. However, since SMAC is a windows based game, I doubt it would be feasible. Still, the idea of playing Colonization on the bus sounds appealing... too bad I'll never own one of those evil little devices.

Comment

The soucrce code needs to be released. All sorts of ports woudl have been made already

Comment

Working...
              X