Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fog of War question...

Hello,

have a small Fog-of-War related question.... When you move a unit for example to the north from your base to explore some land and move it back to your base... its like having some invisible eyes up there because I see whats going on up there without having a unit stationed that in its sight.

And I saw a pic recently in this forum showing that a explored land without a unit near is lined up, you see how the land is looking like up there, but you dont know whats going on there -> no invisible eyes.

I'm confused. The lined land looks like without playing with fog of war.

Hmmm am I doing something wrong?

Greetings,
    Cab

I'm afraid I don't really understand your sentences, but are you perhaps talking about sensor arrays?
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Can you tell us where you saw the pic? If it's in this forum, it might be helpful if we could look at the pic you're talking about.

Comment

The best I can do is to talk generally about what you can see when you have Fog of war enabled

1. Dark squares -- places you have never seen
        2. Shaded squares- places you have seen in the past but which are not visible to a unit or sensor at present-- Sometimes/often these squares can mislead you if there have been land raises/drops or terraforming
        3. Bright squares-- Tiles which are currently under direct observation-- Move a radar unit into shaded areas and you will see a brighter area which follows the unit around

There do seem to be some viewing quirks however. I have seen a tile adjacent to a unit stay dark for instance but usually find this corrects itself if you click elsewhere on the map or go into a non-map screen for a moment and then click back on the unit in question.

Sometimes a destroyed unit will send a last report as well. I can recall (in SP) seeing my ship destroyed and then on the next turn seeing its killer sail away.

But overall if you do not have a sensor close enough or a unit adjacent ( within 2 tiles for radar units) you should NOT see what is going on in that tile. Thats the reason I always play with FOG of war ON. I always want to see exactly which tiles are within my radar coverage.
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

What I mean is the following:

What I explore will be forever "BRIGHT", no matter if I'm hundreds of kilometres away, I always know whats going on there. I miss the "SHADED" squares. Am I doing something wrong?

Aabraxan:

This pic shows the shaded squares which I don't have from the beginning on (just see the dark or the bright)... makes me feel like I'm cheating.

greetings,
          cab
          Last edited by TheCabal; September 8, 2006, 14:53.

Comment

Are you saying you see every unit move everywhere on the map such that you know where EVERYTHING is ??
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

There's an option to turn fog of war on or off.

Comment

For example:

Making a recon fly-by over an island in control of the hive, once I flown over the island and back to base, I can see every of his move on his island without having my own units there in all the turns till the game ends. I expected these squares on the explored HIVE island to be !shaded! (like in every other game like starcraft, warcraft, c&c...) because I don't have any units there observing the situation there. But instead I get always up to date information on whats going on on this island..... I see his formers working, cities growing in early game...

In Civ4 you explore some land lets say to the west and move the unit back to your first and only one city => you know how the land to the far left is looking like (where u moved ur unit), but you dont have actual information about whats going on there => squares are not dark (the unit explored it) but they are shaded (because there is no unit near it... out of sight/range).

Is this an issue?

Guys sry for my bad standard-english... hope you can help me.. its like cheating ^^

Greetings,
                Cab
                Last edited by TheCabal; September 9, 2006, 10:38.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCabal
                  For example:

Making a recon fly-by over the HIVEs isle, once I flown over the island and back to base, I can see every of his move on his island without having my own units there. I expected these squares on the explored HIVE island to be shaded because I don't have any units there. But instead I get always up to date information on whats going on there..... I see his formers working, cities growing in early game.

Guys I try hard to describe what my prob is with my standard-english..... help
                  Where did you get this copy of SMAC(X) from? Reason I am asking is I seem to recall Kataphraktoi having similar "issues". He had downloaded his version from some site, so I am wondering if that source of the game is somehow corrupted.

Otherwise, I understand what your problem is, but don't really know how to resolve it other than possibly removing the game from your computer and then reloading it again?

D

Comment

Darn.... I'm such an idiot

I thought it would activate itself after applying custom rules (no unity survey?).... found the fog of war option in the options.... it was turned off all the time!? I played like this for over 10 times like a cheating *****... omg... thx Maniac!!! Hope I'm not getting to old for games...

Comment

OK so..... does Civ2 has fog of war too? =)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCabal
                        found the fog of war option in the options....
                        You shouldn't be able to see the other's formers working though. Or at least not anymore after they moved a square IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                        X