Gravship Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravship Units

In a few of the games I've played, I stuck around long enough to use Gravships.

There's a few things I noticed.

- They are great for occupying both sea and land bases. -- Just like locusts are but they are cheaper and move much further per turn.

- They can attack only once per turn which makes them not as powerful as choppers in many instances.

- They can be phenomenal as both gravship formers and crawlers (should they be called Grawlers or Growlers?) quickly developing and haversting planet.
    -- I have noticed that while they are working or harvesting a square they are vulnerable to attack by normal (non SAM) surface units.

Usually, if I havn't ended the game by the time they arrive, I'll use the grav formers and Growlers to further develop and havest the SSC energy field I've got going on.

Has anyone used a probe gravship?

Mead

Gravships... I cannot remember the last time I saw one of those. Still... flying formers are awesome, being able to terraform any tile, sea or land.

Comment

Growlers
      Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Grav ships are nifty. The problem is that gravships come so late in the tech tree that the game is likely well over. As I recall, by the time I get them my tech rate is 1/turn so I'm thinking transcending/world leader in short order.

MP games are usually resolved well before grav ships. The only time I've see them is in some of my role playing MPs where we want a resolution - bitter or not.

Hydro

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Trotsky flying formers are awesome, being able to terraform any tile, sea or land.
          I never seriously thought about putting a former module on a flying chassis. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Hydro
            Grav ships are nifty. The problem is that gravships come so late in the tech tree that the game is likely well over. As I recall, by the time I get them my tech rate is 1/turn so I'm thinking transcending/world leader in short order.

MP games are usually resolved well before grav ships. The only time I've see them is in some of my role playing MPs where we want a resolution - bitter or not.

Hydro
            I agree. Gravships are great but they are so very late that their only role is to mop up an already won game. I have never seen a game where gravships made the difference .

Locusts on the other hand are generally much weaker but frankly they can have a much bigger impact on the game-- I love their ability to capture bases and then you can have your droppers pop in to be the defensders
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I am a fan of the gravship, though like others I think it's a bit too late-game to be a pivotal unit. I suppose in a tech stag game, or one where only the conquest victory was allowed, they might become more significant.

Does anyone know how many units a gravship transport carries? Can one be fitted with a carrier deck? Because I LOVE the idea of the Shield Helicarrier, and I think it would be wickedly useful for offensive operations.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
                Does anyone know how many units a gravship transport carries?
                Just one *sob*

Comment

IIRC the gravship former doesn't work correctly over water if you try to raise terrain. I think you get the message warning you off as if it were a sea based former.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

You can use a gravship former to raise trench to ocean and ocean to shallow. Like a sea based former, you can't change shallow to land.

If you use a gravship colony pod, you can't build a seabase. In this regard, a gravship colony pod acts as if it were a land-based unit.
                    Unofficial SMAC/X Patches Version 1.0 @ Civilization Gaming Network

Comment

Working...
                    X