No announcement yet.

A few questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Although I’m a Gaian at heart I have to admit I love playing Morgan. In role playing he can justify just about anything at the altar of economic advancement. Ah yes, there is the lure of amorality and self gratification (and gloating, too) and Morgan can be oh, so flexible (energy does that). In my SP and especially MP play I've found that Morgan’s optimal SE for empire polishing (peace, trade) and blood-makes-grass-grow depends on your level of development/tech.

Early game (for me this is before Tree Farms are built, mineral production not maxed, and no Doct:Air Power) – FM/Wealth works best optimize what you do best - energy production and trade. Wars are rather difficult to prosecute. You may be forced to accept an energy hit by replacing FM with Green if you need to take out someone.

In my mid game where you have at least tree farms at all core bases, very good development, a good array of supply crawlers maxing out mineral production, and good terraforming within a sprawling empire I like Dem/Green/Wealth. In many cases the energy production is higher due to the high (+4) efficiency, which is important since a low (0 or 1) or moderate (+2) rating can start dragging down your net energy production as your empire expands vertically and horizontally. Play with the SE settings to see where your energy/tech level falls - you may be surprised. The main benefit of this SE (or CEO Aaron's, for that matter) is that the gloves can come off without a penalty. By the time you have the tech and resources to build punishment spheres/clean units I’m usually well in to mid game and I typically don’t think it’s worth it – costly and very high pain-in-the-tush factor.

By late game (hybrid forests, max development, boreholes all over, tech advantage, energy satellites, advanced SE choices) you can do more or less what you want and it doesn't really matter. You can polish your core empire AND prosecute hostile takeovers of those who are less attuned to proper economic opportunities at the same time!

Hydro

Comment

Play with the SE settings to see where your energy/tech level falls - you may be surprised.
      I find the main determinant as to when it makes sense to make the switch from Market to Green (outside of a wartime context, of course), is how much trade your empire is generating. If you've got a lot going on, the extra commerce from Free Market can outshine the extra efficiency from Green for quite some time. However, by the typical midgame, if you've been growing your empire assiduously, it's unlikely for you to have successfully courted favor with your rival factions.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A few questions

Originally posted by Leon Trotsky

I wish I were, just for the sake of comedy... but I actually meant the Nessus Canyon (Shouldn't have spoiled the fun - bad me).

Nessus Canyon? Is that from a mod or something?
        "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
        "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
        "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
        "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A few questions

Originally posted by livid imp
          Nessus Canyon? Is that from a mod or something?
          No. Its a Natural Landmark (like the Garland Crater or Monsoon Jungle, however it doesn't automatically appear on a computer generated map (i.e. you have to go in thru the Scenario Generator and place it on a map manually). The Nessus Canyon gives +2 Mins per effected tile, just like the Garland Crater. Example:
          Attached Files

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A few questions

Originally posted by Darsnan

No. Its a Natural Landmark (like the Garland Crater or Monsoon Jungle, however it doesn't automatically appear on a computer generated map (i.e. you have to go in thru the Scenario Generator and place it on a map manually). The Nessus Canyon gives +2 Mins per effected tile, just like the Garland Crater. Example:
            Whoa. First I've heard of it. +2 mins?! So a rolling tile is 3mins? That is crazy. Or do you mean one additional min like the crater?
            "They’re lazy troublemakers, and they all carry weapons." - SMAC Manual, Page 59 Regarding Drones
            "Without music, life would be a mistake." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
            "If fascism came to America it would be on a program of Americanism." -- Huey Long
            "Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to greater danger. It works the same in any country." -- Hermann Goering

Comment

Working...
            X