Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what cost do you stop crawler-whoring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At what cost do you stop crawler-whoring?

I've doing a lot with this mod of mine recently, and I think I've got it perfect...except for the fact that I hate only being able to harvest resources within the base radius (so far in this mod, crawlers have been disabled because of how overpowering they are).

The problems with crawlers extend past the usual boost they give to production. They allow human players to instabuild SP's, using up the full mineral value of the crawler. No longer is there a sense of racing to certain SP's. You just have a bunch of crawlers laying around, doing work, and you cash them in when you need to.

Is there any way to disable the use of crawlers for advancing prototypes and SP's in alpha.txt or any other file? I suppose you could just exercise your own willpower and manually handicap yourself from using that.

Also, the computer is less apt to use crawlers, although I've heard that you can change this by adding crawlers into the #UNITS section of alpha.txt and also by adding crawlers as an option in the governor queue (how do you do that?)

Because, once you take away these factors, the problem with crawlers becomes more managable. It becomes simply a matter of increasing the cost until there comes a point when other things, in a lot of situations, are more worthwhile to build and give a greater return on investment than crawlers.

You also have to realize that, the longer it takes to build something, the more time-potential is lost it in and the more EC's it takes to rushbuild. For instance:

Let's say you have a city producing 24 energy: 12 to econ, and 12 to labs. You build an energy bank (7 min rows, right?) in, let's say 7 turns. From turn 8 and onwards, you get +5 energy at that base (+6 - 1 for maintenance). It could be even more if the base grows or terraforming around the base is further improved after that.

Now let's say there is a similar facility in existence which gives +100% energy, but which takes twice as long to build. At first, it seems like a no-brainer: build the more costly facility for its better effects in the long run. And, as we will see, this is the correct approach, but not to the extent that one might think at first because it will take 14 turns to build this facility, and what many people will not realize is that, at turn 8, when the facility is half complete, it will not be generating +50% energy. So by the time this facility gets completed, the less costly facility will have produced 35 energy, which itself could be used to rushbuild a rec tanks or something else in the meantime. Also, the more costly facility will be more costly to produce, not just linearly, but geometrically. Still, eventually, the more costly facility will produce greater benefits, but not more extremely greater than one would think at first, if one takes into account the time-potential of money. We must keep this in mind as we think of a price for supply crawlers.

What I want to be using crawlers for is not just crawler-whoring every single forest square. I would rather have harvesting +2 squares be sub-optimal. I would have harvesting +4 squares to be a good investment of money depending on the circumstances. I would especially like crawlers to be used strategically to harvest those +7 squares in your territory but outside of your base radius (and possibly away from the frontline, where these costly units can be picked off by enemy rovers/aircraft). It should be cheaper and preferable to build bases with these squares within the radius, but it should still be possible to harvest these squares (less) profitably if they fall outside of the base radius.

So this is what I'm thinking: what if supply crawlers cost 10 min rows (100 minerals with normal industry)? A 7 min row investment, with more time-potential, will get you a base with a rec commons, or a 4 min row investment with more time-potential will get you a base with a scout patrol (if you have suitable police settings), producing 2 mins. Therefore, a supply crawler, costing 10 min rows, would be rather disadvantageous to build if the best it could do is harvest a forest square. Now you start to have a strategic aspect coming into play with crawlers. Are they worth it for harvesting +3 minerals? Maybe, maybe not. Now you have some real decisions to make. What about +4? Probably, but not always. There could be better deals, such as building a rec commons, depending on the circumstance. Above +4, the supply crawlers are probably going to be the better deal almost always, but above +4, you need terraforming, so you need to take that into account as well. You see, what this does is open up many more tough decisions in your gameplay, which is what strategy games thrive on.

Actually, I'm also thinking about raising the cost of colony pods from 3 min rows to 4 min rows, in order to combat shameless ICS (city-whoring, I guess you could call it). There shouldn't be any one strategy that is always advantageous. There should always be tough decisions, depending heavily on analyzing specific circumstances.

So, would you still be tempted to crawler-whore if crawlers could not be cashed in, and if they cost 100 mins a piece (and likewise, would ICS look as enticing with colony pods costing 4 min rows (disregard situations involving Morgan--for Morgan, ICS will almost always make sense, and that's okay. There's nothing wrong with certain strategies being suited to certain factions. It's bad when a strategy is suited to all factions in any conceivable circumstances, such as crawler-whoring as it is now)?
    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

I'd already stop building crawlers if they cost 4 instead of 3 mineral rows.

(Well I would if I still played SMAC.)
    Last edited by Maniac; August 23, 2006, 15:28.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

I think your estimation of the value of a base is kind of simplistic. A new base with a recycling tanks doesn't just get you 3 more mineral production devoted to your empire. It also provides energy and support, even taking fairly steep inefficiency into consideration

Also, balancing a crawler on the idea that it will harvest 2 minerals from a forest square is also not very flexible, and doesn't take into account both the strengths and weaknesses of crawlers.

The weakness of crawlers isn't that they cost a large amount of up front minerals, it's that they take up real estate. That is, tiles worked by a former can't be worked by workers, so either you're devoting large amounts of your intra-base areas devoted to crawler farms, or you have to move and defend your crawlers in open territory. Neither situation is really ideal.

The foundation of the value of any asset is how quickly it pays for itself, the Price to Earnings ratio, to borrow a term from the stock market. And clearly, the base crawler's is pretty good. Take 30 mineral rows, but 4 former turns, plus one terrain square, and you'll recover your investment in 15 turns. Of course, the terrain square is a an ongoing expense. But if you compare that to a single colony pod, you'll realize how poor that yield really is.

Take the same 30 mineral rows, one point of population and a terrain square 2 spaces away from any other base, and you'll collect the same 2 minerals you'd get from the crawler. And energy, and the base will continue to grow. That's the terrifying power of ICS. Which is why the fastest transcend time ever clocked was by a gaian ICS that built nothing but colony pods, recycling tanks, formers and military units.

Comment

While I can agree with eliminating crawler upgrades, The best method to do that might be to create outrageous costs for such upgrades (if its not hard coded

If you make crawlers cost 10 rows, I would never build them. It would ALWAYS be better to build a couple of bases instead. If thats the intent go ahead but you eliminate the SSC as a viable option and instead make ICS the ultimate approach without any viable argument for a large crawler supported city at all
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Increasing the mineral cost of crawlers does have an interesting side-effect: they are even better for rushing secret projects.
          He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Well, not so much better as more chunky. Actually, once I get into late game, I frequently find myself designing a range of crawlers, with varying mineral costs, so that once my bases go over 30 mineral production (yes, with boreholes and genejacks, this isn't very hard), I don't wind up wasting mineral overflow.

Comment

Take the same 30 mineral rows, one point of population and a terrain square 2 spaces away from any other base, and you'll collect the same 2 minerals you'd get from the crawler. And energy, and the base will continue to grow. That's the terrifying power of ICS. Which is why the fastest transcend time ever clocked was by a gaian ICS that built nothing but colony pods, recycling tanks, formers and military units.
              The weakness of crawlers isn't that they cost a large amount of up front minerals, it's that they take up real estate.
              If you make crawlers cost 10 rows, I would never build them. It would ALWAYS be better to build a couple of bases instead. If thats the intent go ahead but you eliminate the SSC as a viable option and instead make ICS the ultimate approach without any viable argument for a large crawler supported city at all
              Okay, fair enough. So what if colony pods were increased to 5 min rows, and crawlers were set at 5 min rows? The early game would go more slowly, but that's okay. It would be kinda like civ 4, actually, with your empire staying at 2 or 3 bases for a while due to the cost of founding new bases. You'd improve your existing bases with facilities such as rec commons, rec tanks, and such instead. Much less micromanagement, with both large numbers of bases and crawlers. I guess that's what I'm mainly aiming for--faster games with less micromanagement, which are still balanced at the same time. But as it is right now, neither colony pods or crawlers are balanced, I guess.

Really, you shouldn't have a situation where you expand on your continent to take up every single tile within your base radii, at least until satellites. That just doesn't happen in the real world, for one thing. And I like my games to be realistic. Instead, base placement should be strategic, centered around paths, resources, and such.
              Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
                Well, not so much better as more chunky. Actually, once I get into late game, I frequently find myself designing a range of crawlers, with varying mineral costs, so that once my bases go over 30 mineral production (yes, with boreholes and genejacks, this isn't very hard), I don't wind up wasting mineral overflow.
                I d that as well-- I don't try to get ones that are each of 4, 5,6 mineral rows but I do like to have a couple of extra cheap versions to use (even if I have to rush 2-3 or even 10 minerals sometimes
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Zeiter
                  Okay, fair enough. So what if colony pods were increased to 5 min rows, and crawlers were set at 5 min rows? The early game would go more slowly, but that's okay. It would be kinda like civ 4, actually, with your empire staying at 2 or 3 bases for a while due to the cost of founding new bases. You'd improve your existing bases with facilities such as rec commons, rec tanks, and such instead. Much less micromanagement, with both large numbers of bases and crawlers. I guess that's what I'm mainly aiming for--faster games with less micromanagement, which are still balanced at the same time. But as it is right now, neither colony pods or crawlers are balanced, I guess.

Really, you shouldn't have a situation where you expand on your continent to take up every single tile within your base radii, at least until satellites. That just doesn't happen in the real world, for one thing. And I like my games to be realistic. Instead, base placement should be strategic, centered around paths, resources, and such.
                  All you'd wind up doing is slightly raising the utility of certain early facilties, at the expense of pods and crawlers. Yet I don't think those changes would do anything but slow the game down, kind of counter to your 'faster, with less micro' goals.

You're absolutely right that base foundation bears no resemblance to real life settlement patterns, but that's because real life is considerably more complex than this game. A real human settlement needs to generate sufficient food and water for whatever population supports it. Even in our modern era of huge transportation and refrigeration technology, it's still an enormous effort to get water to certain parts of the world. A very basic example of this is the growth of the LA basin, whose huge expansion was made possible by the LA aqueduct.

So, without significant irrigation and aqueduct systems, you can't support human settlements of significant size. On THIS planet. However, in Alpha Centauri, you can rationalize the innate self-sufficiency of colonies with the magic pill of technology. Recycling Tanks and Condensers are the science fiction equivalent of the aqueduct, providing the means by which your populace is supported.

But as it is right now, neither colony pods or crawlers are balanced, I guess.
                  See, this is the statement that I take issue with. First of all, how can colony pods not be balanced? Every faction has access to them from the word go, so if they're unbalanced, against what should they be balanced. As for crawlers, my earlier post shows that given their costs and expected yields, they're not necessarily a tremendous deal in and of themselves. To be sure, they're very flexible, and can be used synergistically, but consider that the same three mineral rows can get you a foil transport, which can then pay for itself with a fortune in free units, tech, credits, and alien artifacts.

The early game would go more slowly, but that's okay. It would be kinda like civ 4, actually, with your empire staying at 2 or 3 bases for a while due to the cost of founding new bases. You'd improve your existing bases with facilities such as rec commons, rec tanks, and such instead. Much less micromanagement, with both large numbers of bases and crawlers.
                  It seems to me that what you really want to be doing is playing on a smaller map. A smaller map on a high difficulty will result in a low bureaucracy limit, which in turn will begin to engender inefficiency and unrest, making further expansion more difficult. On transcend, once you hit the bureaucracy cap, additional bases will require not just the 30 row colony pod, but also some method of quelling additional drones.

Comment

People are forgetting that one of the things that make crawlers so powerful is that they can be homed to a new base to instantly boost production. The new base can push out 10 min to allow cost-effective rushing that much sooner.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

In the early game era, you'd need at least 3 crawlers to get a new base above 10 minerals per turn. So, that's 90 minerals invested plus enough forests planted nearby to make use of them.

No, crawlers ARE powerful, but what makes them powerful is that they de-couple resource production from population growth. A base may be a better investment of 30 minerals, but you can't make one without sacrificing a point of population from an existing base. That, and the ability to concentrate your industrial output on a secret project, to finish it in advance of your competitors.

On the flip side, they're highly fragile, and still require terraformed real-estate to produce the resources you'll be harvesting. And alien artifacts can provide a adequate, if somewhat less predictable substitute for crawlers when grabbing SPs that are important for you.

Do remember, that in order to hit the AI beeline as swiftly as possible, there are no weapon techs on the way. So if your habit is to play on a gargantuan map so that the game is over by the time you make contact with your rivals, sure, crawlers will seem overly effective. In that context, it's only natural that a builder strategy would reign supreme, and proper use of industrial automation is the core of any builder strategy.

Comment

but what about smaller maps, where crawler armies can be destroyed by a handful of enemy choppers? that was my downfall last game, and air defense didn'y last forever

Comment

Originally posted by Nightlifter
                          but what about smaller maps, where crawler armies can be destroyed by a handful of enemy choppers? that was my downfall last game, and air defense didn'y last forever
                          On tiny or small maps you need to be upping your quantity of military versus infrastructure-- I don't really forsee crawler "armies" on such a map

On that type of map I might put my crawlers inside a ring of bases or along the pole-- Either method adds some defensibility-- Neither is perfect but with strong patrolling it is possible to have a crawler group survive.

The other option of course is to accept the crawlers death as an early warning system. I particularly like trawlers for this use (despite their higher cost before fusion). A trawler blocking or monitoring a key strait is often worth way more than its mineral cost in the warning it provides

Comment

Originally posted by Nightlifter
                            Yes, the fragility of crawler units and the potentially crippling consequences of having them wiped out once you've become dependent on the resources they provide is one of the drawbacks of a crawler-heavy strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                              I particularly like trawlers for this use (despite their higher cost before fusion). A trawler blocking or monitoring a key strait is often worth way more than its mineral cost in the warning it provides
                              Fission trawlers? I only used them so far in harnessed, energy bonus, geothermal shallows tiles... I'll try to build more of them in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X