Game Modification Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Modification Question

I have a specific question about moding SMAC. One if the AI's more annoying aspects as im sure we....all know, is it's tendancy especially in longer games is that it basically sits on its hands and begins to produce garrison units in huge #'s to the exception of just about ...well anything else. Yes it likes homegrown mind worms but it would just as soon produce 2-12-1-4 Garrison units, and of course...keeps sending them out on seaborn invasions, stand around doing nothing or even more sensible, roam your rear area or front lines in semi-large quantities doing sweet bugger all while your divisions are captureing there cities hand over. In a recent game I just finished about ...70% of the way through I had destroyed over 650 total combined units I would classify as static garrision units. My own losses in compareable units total about...15. (not total losses..just losses of garrison type units).

Now I would think the AI would be a little more credible if they at least would produce something other than 2-12-1-4 units 85% of the time. O ya and 10% mindworms and 5% actuall combat units It will still be tactically as dumb as ashphalt, but at least with units that can actually attack it would make the sort of game and maps I have edited for play a little more interesting. Destroying 900 2-12-1-4 units *does* tend to get a little stale after a while. Anyho, is there anyway to edit the ini so it wont put so much effort into such marginal and weak units?. I know its possible to tweak its city priorites somewhat but Im not sure about its unit building.

One of the things Ive noticed contrasting SMAC to my 'other' favorite TBS , MOO2 is how there different yet end up being the same in the end far as AI goes.

SMAC -AI -weak tactical\strategic decisions at all levels and stages of the game. Unit design are credible or mirror players designs Relies on the old standby , cheats to outrun you to SP, espeicially in the early game. Sits on hands hard core in longer games.

MOO2 -AI makes decent tactical and strategic decisions throughout the game.(cheats like a Soab but they all do) Primary weakness is ship design which is by any standard...horrible. the AI develops its worlds quite well by any standard but cant make a decent ship to save its life. Also tends to sit on its hands over a long game.

IME the 2 games AI is weak in almost in an inverse manner. But in the end, the both pretty much end up in the same place. MOO2 cant win because it cant build decent ships and SMACs factions cant win because...well....they cant build civilizations like a hoooman can...

In any complex game the AI will always be weak ... we can't program an AI to "think on its toes" like a human yet.
    As fpr modding what the AI builds i think (big think) that inserting certain cheaper units into the ini make them more appealing for the AI to produce. If a scenario creator pops in they'll know alot more.
    Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazerus
      In any complex game the AI will always be weak ... we can't program an AI to "think on its toes" like a human yet.
      As fpr modding what the AI builds i think (big think) that inserting certain cheaper units into the ini make them more appealing for the AI to produce. If a scenario creator pops in they'll know alot more.
      In KIng of the Hill, Darsnan modded in a couple of cheap units that the AI builds and uses in abundance. The most annoying was the Shard battletank which I beleiev he put in an ogre slot- It is a <13>--<6>-3*2 with the cloaked and blink abilities in addition to nerve gas, SAM, AA and drop abilities. But even though they build lots I still find the AI to be fairly passive
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
      X