Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "King of the Hill" SMAX SP Challenge

King of the Hill SP Challenge

Backdrop for the game: Hundreds of thousands of years ago 4 great civilizations developed on Planet, and many great terraforming feats were performed, reshaping Planet into the visage of a perfect Utopia for its citizens. However, these same 4 civilizations had also developed advanced weapons of destruction, and for some inexplicable reason a war ensued, shattering Planet’s well cultivated surface and destroying the utopian societies which populated Planet’s surface. Now, eons later, only traces of what was once an advanced race still remain.

Premise for the game: as the Unity approached Planet, sensors started picking up the telltale signs of the ancient, destroyed civilizations. As more was learned about the extent of the ancient civilizations, as well as the level of destruction to Planet’s surface, Shadow groups within the Unity’s hierarchy began to plot how best to exploit Planet’s resources to their own advantages. However, there is always a fly in the ointment, this case being the destruction of the Unity. Some say it was sabotage, others say that the Unity malfunctioned, while still others think it was an ancient planetary defense system that fired on Unity, destroying the spacecraft. Regardless, with the destruction of the Unity so too went the formal governing body of the United Nations. With this power vacuum occurring the Shadow groups realized their time had come, and as they consolidated themselves on Planet’s surface they began to expand their new empires, and to follow their own agendas.

You are the Peace Keepers. Your job is to re-unite the warring Factions of humanity under the U.N. banner and proclaim Planet as the Dominion of Man!

Directions for loading the Game: unzip the attached file and save in your scenarios folder. Start SMAX, select Scenarios/ Play Scenario, and then select “King of the Hill”. The game will automatically load you as the PKs.

Observations: if any of you feel you’ve played this before, you are right! This is a remake of my first SP Challenge back in January of 2003. Essentially what happened was that a little while ago Kirov had asked me if I had ever made any really hard scenarios, and when I went to point him to this game I realized the links for this game at CGN didn’t work anymore. So I decided to update the game with all that I had learned since I originally “cut my teeth” on Scenario Creation back in late ’02: it is now much more entertaining, IMO!
    As usual there are some new concepts here, which should be interesting to see how you guys handle/ adapt to.

Enjoy!

D
    Attached Files

SMAC version released

I've made a SMAC version as well. Because I can't recycle the slots for Battle Ogres in SMAC, why this one plays differently than the SMAX version.

Directions:

1) In your Scenarios subdirectory create a folder called "KotH", and download and unzip the attached files into it.
    2) Start up SMAC, then select "Scenario", "Play Scenario", and then select the attached KotH file. The game will automatically load up with the Peace Keepers.
    3) To ensure everything is working right hit F1 and select "Faction Profiles". You should see that the Gaians and Morganites have been replaced.
    4) While your in the Data Links I recommend looking at the basic units types as well, so you can plan your strategies accordingly.

Enjoy!

D
    Attached Files

Comment

What's the size of the map?
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
        What's the size of the map?
        Huge

Comment

He who knows others is wise.
          He who knows himself is enlightened.
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

An update (on what, as I've not posted a first??)

It's 2279. I have 7 bases, all size 16, one at size 9, and 6 fresh ones, all size 1 . Votes are 244. I'm Planetary Governor. Still no ODP's, but I do have fleschette defenses now on all my larger bases (having lost 2 to Nukes)

Shard empath interceptor choppers are kept busy with mindworm control, but I'm by and large left now by the AI. The University has gone rampant, (47 bases and 367 votes) and so I see little hope of a "supreme leader" vote (which I think is the premise of the challenge, although other victory conditions are allowed)

Miriam has 104 votes, Roze 82, and Santiago has 14, and together they keep me in office. I'm in Vendetta with Zak as well as Yang (3 votes)

My only hope is to steal the Ascent from under Zak's nose, and to that end all my crawlers are drop capable. All my base defenders are quantum powered shard/probability trance AAA

I'm currently researching Digital Sentience, while Zak is researching Matter Transmission

I'm running Dem/Green/Wealth and generating over 400 credits per turn, plus about 300 per turn from mindworm kills. Reserves are around 2500, meaning that I can pretty much instabuild any facility as it becomes available
            Last edited by Googlie; July 19, 2006, 12:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie

It's 2279. I have 7 bases, all size 16, one at size 9, and 6 fresh ones, all size 1 . Votes are 244. I'm Planetary Governor. Still no ODP's, but I do have fleschette defenses now on all my larger bases (having lost 2 to Nukes)
              I am around 2170 and have just begun warring with my former Angel pactmates. They got peeved after I stole my 8th tech from them I have one base headed for size 16 and a bunch hovering in the size 3-4 range--just waiting for a popboom.

My war goes well as my impact rovers seem to be munching the pathetic Angels bases pretty well. The university is an unknown except for the fact that they seem to be researching tech I can only dream about. I feel bad about stealing from my only ally but frankly I needed the tech and was unhappy with their base encroachments into lands that used to be mine (border pushes)
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

2176, many bases and just changed to Demo-Planed-Wealth from FM in order to pop boom. Still not enough votes to win with Zak (governor). Got 2 SP, Planetary Energy Grid and Ascetic Virtues. Probably Zak has already Orbital Spaceflight. researching SFF.
                Mart
                Map creation contest
                WPC SMAC(X) Democracy Game - Morganities aspire to dominate Planet

Comment

Originally posted by Googlie
                  An update (on what, as I've not posted a first??)

Is it possible to surrond your bases with other units (crawlers/clean sentries) to keep the PBs from reaching your cities?

I usually used that tactic with the AI to protect my SSC/SP heavy base against an unpleasant PB. (If the AI could not reach the base it would not try to punch a hole through first).

I guess it's too inefficient (surronding many bases with units) is you are trying to protect multiple bases.

Mead

Comment

2181, called council and won planetary governorship
                    2189, got CA and CF from MMI. Now only build enough planes and drop troops. Zak is 2 turns from his first PB. It's going to be fun...
                    Mart
                    Map creation contest

Comment

Originally posted by Mead

Is it possible to surrond your bases with other units (crawlers/clean sentries) to keep the PBs from reaching your cities?

Mead
                      I guess I could have - except for the inefficiency (didn't clkear out all the fungus, and would have crawlers essentially bringing in 1 nutrient from them)

I was relying on fleschette defenses, but in moving the game along lost another (my new HQ) base to a PB when the fleschettes misfired.

The sea levels are rising dramatically, too, as Lal and Zak toss PB's around like confetti!!

Comment

Zak used his only PB to nuke an island, where I setup units for a "jump" base to shuttle units to his continent. smart, transport, colony pod and few drop units with copters/planes are lost. This will not help him much though. His second PB is turns away.
                        Looking at Zak's unit roster, he will be a problem.

Unit performance:
                        SP-88, It was good to see Hive making a proper use of it. I placed a fusion missile tactical to protect needlejets, but this unit took it down attacking its armor. Building armoured gunship planes now has sense, unles I'm missing some other possibility.
                        Mart
                        Map creation contest

Comment

2211, was lucky to get Xenoempathy Dome. Attempt to start campaign against Zak failed. This time, I took a base on his continent that lasted 2 turns only. Shard Battle Tanks perform to well and with mostly air power, 10 fusion laser attack, on his continent I was not able to fight 6 armor AAA.
                          This turn got Advanced Spaceflight, so here come possibility to launch a new attack based on the battle tanks.

When Zak nuked my base, his pactmates started to fight against him. Zak almost won by now, Hive has 2 bases, Domai 3 bases. It's a matter of few turns I think. It was also good for me, since in the region of the Ruins Yang and Domai were fiercely attacking my positions. I was using copters and needles to defend, with large losses though, as they were using SP-88. I built a plane with armor, but it does not help much, see the attached picture
                          Attached Files
                          Mart
                          Map creation contest

Comment

Tried voting "Unite behind me" Won, but Zak refuses to obey. Now 4 factions Pacted:
                            PK
                            Angels
                            Believers
                            Spartans
                            fight against University
                            Mart
                            Map creation contest

Comment

LOL - that sounds interesting.

Can you develop a four-faction battle plan, then use the diplo "suggest an attack on ..." ( or, "wait, I have a better idea") to see if the AI go along with your plans?

Comment

Working...
                              X