Finished!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H0bbes

My biggest problem was that Darsnan was much harder to kill than I'd hoped.
    Part of that was that I was feeding him a lot of cash-- probably just as much as your empire generated. You would still have the edge in mineral production but he could rush a lot of defenders

Distance was a problem--supply lines were hard to maintain. I probably jumped in a little to quickly as well. He became impossible to eradicate once Flubber started to feed him units through the backdoor.
    Ya it would take a while to get your stuff to the front while Darsnan could rush stuff right there. I actually had a tough time getting units to Darsnan due to the distances involved and my war with hercules but once hercules was under control I had more direct routes

I didn't ask for detente before the election simply because I didn't want to--kind of a role-playing thing.
    I can respect that. I often will do the same.

Not tactically the most advantageous but it didn't seem right. If I'd been able to hit Flubber while Hercules was still strong it may have been a different game.
    Ya I thought you might have been able to convince Darsnan to join you and 3 against 1 would have been a tremendous battle. Even a neutral Darsnan and a 2 vs 1 would have been a tough fight. My guess in either scenario is that neither side would make much gains for a while until I gained some tech-based military advantage.

The bees made a huge difference. I had no counter to them--I could kill them with missiles but they could take both land & sea bases almost at will.

Hobbes
    They aren't really a favorite unit of mine since they are so weak in many ways . . . but they had no match at that stage of the tech game when it comes to occupying bases. At first I was very careful as I didn't want to lose bases back to you But around the time herc got rliminated, it became totally about denying as many bases to you each turn as possible. Those bees were the fastest way possible to get to you.

Pretty standard tactics in many ways as the choppers emptied the bases and the locusts would capture them, often allowing a better defender to be dropped in
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Oh & interesting password, turns out that was mine as well...
      hmmm-- So the CMN set people up with the same pass-- interesting
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

So I took a peek at the saves Flubber posted, a pretty intense game it appears. I'm curious, though, why none of the player contemplated a wholesale raising of land out of the depths. I mean, the energy income from seabases is certainly astounding, but you all agree how much more defensible land bases can be, with the benefit of sensor beacons, etc.

While I do my best to utilize the landmasses I'm offered first, I'm quite a fan of raising land in my games, both as an expedient to avoid sea transport, and as a way of boosting my territory. Is there a particular reason you avoided this? Am I perhaps making some sort of fundamental error spending former turns and energy credits turning water into dirt?

Comment

Originally posted by CEO Aaron
          So I took a peek at the saves Flubber posted, a pretty intense game it appears. I'm curious, though, why none of the player contemplated a wholesale raising of land out of the depths. I mean, the energy income from seabases is certainly astounding, but you all agree how much more defensible land bases can be, with the benefit of sensor beacons, etc.
          ?

Well when I joined I felt that the time to do that was long past. The first save was the very first turn I played IIRC. Since I inherited a faction with a huge infrastructure I just basically built units and went warmongering.

ON a related point was that I was surprised at how few boreholes or condensors that I inherited. It was pretty much all forests and kelp/tidals with a few kelp/minerals

Originally posted by CEO Aaron

While I do my best to utilize the landmasses I'm offered first, I'm quite a fan of raising land in my games, both as an expedient to avoid sea transport, and as a way of boosting my territory. Is there a particular reason you avoided this? Am I perhaps making some sort of fundamental error spending former turns and energy credits turning water into dirt

My reasons was the time of game I came into the game and the fact that I was on the offensive from the start. My patrolling was quite intense to start and once I went all military, it seemed the best way to protect things.

I do not think that turning water into dirt is a mistake. When I first inherited the faction I did think that a narrow dirt berm would have been very helpful. Anyone that has read my threads in the past know that I think a lot about the possibilities of a defensive land raise.

But in this game, the faction I inherited was too big and well-armed to think that was a great move. IT would not have led to productive advantage ( since the sea tiles were terraformed already) and I couldn't see a front where it was necessary defensively ( You will note though that I often had ships/other units that DID patrol in odd directions until I was reasonably sure that there was nothing out there that could hurt me too bad

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

hmmm-- So the CMN set people up with the same pass-- interesting
            I had multiple games with password set to energy.

What a marathon of a game
            Last edited by Kataphraktoi; September 30, 2013, 20:09.
            if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Working...
            X