Game crashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game crashes

My game crashes (my laptop blacks out) seemingly randomly mid-game. I'm using Windows XP, and the patches don't help. My computer is Aspire 3002LC , AMD Sempron 2800+ processor.

Could anyone give me advice please?

Have you checked this topped thread which noone reads ?

Especially this part :

A: You will need to modify a line in the Alpha Centauri.ini that is located in the game folder. To do this:

Double click on My Computer
    Double click on the C: Local Drive (your Hard Drive or the drive that the game is installed to)
    Double click on the Program Files Folder
    Double click on the Firaxis Games Folder
    Double click on the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Folder]
    Double click on the Alpha Centauri.ini File (The file looks like a read me text file with a little gold symbol on it).

Once the file is open in Notepad, change:

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Be sure to save your changes, then run the game. You may still receive the error message. If it occurs, click OK and the game will load fine.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply.

Yes, I have done that already though, if I remember rightly it solved another problem, but not this one.

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I recently got XP myself and all I had to do to run it smoothly, was to change the mentioned. I have the planetary package and didn't have to install patches. Are you running SMAC ?
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Yes, this happens with both SMAC and SMAX.

Comment

How random is it ? I mean, do you have contact, war etc when it happens or are you just peacefully terraforming without knowledge of others ?

I have had one experience with scrambling enemy fighters that crashed the program. Petek managed to solve that mystery for me - I haven't seen him for a while, but if he pops by he might be more helpful than me.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

sailorwhofell -- So your laptop display simply blacks out with no error message? You might want to disable any power saving features or screen saver. If that doesn't help, right-click on the program shortcut, select Properties and go to the Compatibility tab. Experiment with the various options. Finally, try setting your laptop display to its lowest resolution (640x480 or 800x600) and 256 colors.

Other troubleshooting tips may be found here.

Black Cat --Still around, but mainly playing Civ 4 these days.

Petek
              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
              -- Kosh

Comment

Thanks very much for your reply Petek. Yes, it blacks out in the sense of a complete power failure, turning my laptop completely off and losing whatever I was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                  How random is it ? I mean, do you have contact, war etc when it happens or are you just peacefully terraforming without knowledge of others ?

I have had one experience with scrambling enemy fighters that crashed the program. Petek managed to solve that mystery for me - I haven't seen him for a while, but if he pops by he might be more helpful than me.
                  Well, I start up the game, and between 10 -40 of playing, my laptop will have, you know, short circuited, just instantly powered out without proper shut down or anything. I think it happens whatever I'm doing.
                  Last edited by sailorwhofell; July 8, 2006, 07:04.

Comment

Sounds like it may be an overheating laptop issue. Make sure the laptop is on a clear, flat surface such as a table or a tray of some description. A lap is, ironically, often a bad place for a laptop, as the uneveness of the legs and clothes can cause problems for the airflow in and around the machine.

Also ensure that the laptop is fully powered, i.e. the battery isn't going flat and turning off.

Powersaving is also a possibility, it may be set to switch off too soon, turning it off completely and seeing if that helps may be an option. You may need to disable powersaving before playing SMAC and re-enable it afterwards.

From the sounds of the problem it's not a SMAC issue, so if none of those work then it's likely a hardware issue. Find someone who can do tech support for you, the manurfacturer, a friend, a shop whoever, and get them to fix it for you.
                    Play hangman.

Comment

You wouldnt happen to have a toshiba or sony laptop would you? those brands have beceome particularly infamous as of late for this excact problem

Comment

Many thanks Chaunk. It does seem to be a problem with over-heating, though even putting it on a flat surface, the over-heating remains. Would that mean the hardware definitely needs looking at?

Xian: actually it's not, the make is 'Acer'.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

@sailorwhofell

Have you tested something else that might full use of the CPU/GPU? If not, try downloading some game demo and test if the computer overheat I would complain, because it sounds like bad production from my point of view.
                          What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

Working...
                          X