xp patch installed

tried changing the compatibilty as well

"cpu not supported"

will play unpatched

but I need the PBEM part

anybody- - -Ferris?
    anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Did you try this? I found it worked for me. Even though I get the CPU not supported message, the game runs just fine

34) Q: When launching Alpha Centauri. I receive the error message "CPU not supported". My computer has a Pentium 4 or newer CPU.

A: You will need to modify a line in the Alpha Centauri.ini that is located in the game folder. To do this:

Double click on My Computer
    Double click on the C: Local Drive (your Hard Drive or the drive that the game is installed to)
    Double click on the Program Files Folder
    Double click on the Firaxis Games Folder
    Double click on the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri Folder]
    Double click on the Alpha Centauri.ini File (The file looks like a read me text file with a little gold symbol on it).

Once the file is open in Notepad, change:

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=0

to

ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1

Be sure to save your changes, then run the game. You may still receive the error message. If it occurs, click OK and the game will load fine.

If you are Installed Sid Meier's Planetary pack then their will be no Alpha Centauri.ini File initially. Upon attemping to play the game and
    clicking ok despite CPU being unsupported the ini file will be produced. Then simply change the ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1. Or if necessary copy ini file from original SMAC.

ALSO download the patch that helps XP:

Alpha Centauri (PC) PATCH - Update for XP.
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I don't need the XP patch it works fine anyway to just go with ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1.
      What do I care about your suffering? Pain, even agony, is no more than information before the senses, data fed to the computer of the mind. The lesson is simple: you have received the information, now act on it. Take control of the input and you shall become master of the output.

Comment

thanks heros

changing the 0 to 1

works like a charm

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus Rex
          thanks heros

changing the 0 to 1

works like a charm
          yup

thats why its in the FAQ which is stickied-- I don't know any computer type where it fails to work now
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

to impatient to read the thread, I rock

Comment

thats ok-- its a running forum joke/reality that almost nobody reads the topped threads

Comment

Originally posted by waab
                I don't need the XP patch it works fine anyway to just go with ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm to 1.
                Actually, everyone should apply the xp patch regardless of whether they have xp or not, and irrespective of processor type. It fixes many bugs in vanilla SMAC, such as GA pop booming, maintanance at transcend level etc. Think of it as SMAC patch 5.
                Play hangman.

Comment

Working...
                X