Tech selection options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech selection options.

I've noticed that even with the random tech selection turned off I get some odd options.

For example if I play dierdre and my first pick is info networks (plus the free cetauri ecology) I get four options for my next pick.

But when I placyUniversity and select cetauri ecology for my first pick (plus the free info networks) I get six choices of techs to pick from.

I Did a test where I started a new game and tried picking various choices with the Gaians. It seems that they are incapable of getting secrets after just picking up both prerequisites. I know University can do it.

If I play santiago and pick Applied Physics, one of my options is (still)Information Networks but if I pick information networks first the I lose Applied Physics as an option for my next pick.

It is so wierd and arbitrary it is driving me crazy. Anyone know what the deal is.

Specifically I'd like a fix but at this point just an acknowledgement that I am or am not crazy would be great

Thanks in advance.

The short answer is that you're not crazy. When using directed research, you may not be offered all possible techs to research next. It is not random: In any game in which you have discovered techs X, Y and Z, then you'll always get the same techs offered next to research. This behavior can't be changed.

There are plenty of prior posts on this topic (especially in the archives -- look for these right below the Off-Topic Forum).
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Petek
      When using directed research, you may not be offered all possible techs to research next. It is not random: In any game in which you have discovered techs X, Y and Z, then you'll always get the same techs offered next to research. This behavior can't be changed.
      Is that confirmed? If so, how well understood is the subject? Can the research options be predicted? Is there a program to do that?

Comment

I thought there was something on that, but can't find it...

Didn't try very hard, tho
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Look most of the way down the page. Of course, the whole thread provides context.
          "Cutlery confused Stalin"
          -BBC news

Comment

Its essential for PBEM for calculating your IA beeline. In a 4-way Hive game Lazerus is moping about because he messed it up, despite having 23 pop in 2135.

Comment

So that's the reason he blamed himself for it... it seems that for some this is no longer a matter of luck, but it is also integrated to the gameplay.

Comment

im not moping, im thoroughly pi**ed off !
                A stupid mistake like not learning to read the tech predictor properly to keep up with others who can has pushed me from being amongst the first to reach IA to my current position of potentially being the last to get there which will seriously hamper me.
                Last edited by Lazerus; June 19, 2006, 06:59.
                Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Sorry I'm new here, can any decipher IA for me?

Also I've been checking out the extremely helpful spreadsheet link to in the thread posted above.

I am wondering if there is sort a a reverse version of that tool. For example i there a tool where i can enter my fraction, slot, etc. and a tech I'd like to beeline too, with the tool telling what techs I need to take in which order?

Obviously I can do it manually but can be pretty intensive.

Comment

IA = Industrual Automation.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your other question.

Comment

Originally posted by fishist
                      Sorry I'm new here, can any decipher IA for me?

Also I've been checking out the extremely helpful spreadsheet link to in the thread posted above.

I am wondering if there is sort a a reverse version of that tool. For example i there a tool where i can enter my fraction, slot, etc. and a tech I'd like to beeline too, with the tool telling what techs I need to take in which order?

Obviously I can do it manually but can be pretty intensive.
                      The problem is that trading techs, popping techs in unity pods, or aquiring them by any other means screws up the beeline...this is one of the dangers of popping pods when beelining for IA...

Comment

Working...
                      X