yang taught me a valuable lesson yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yang taught me a valuable lesson yesterday

I'm playing as the univ against modified AI factions, and had what turned from a decent start to an excelent when I popped a river and energy bonus in garland crater I quickly set up my manufacturing capital there, the only problem was there is some fungus on the northeast side, but I left that alone. Anyways , I was exploring with 2 unity rovers and destryed an empty size 1 yang base and a 1 or 2 of his colony pods, I figured I had crippled him, right? Wrong! About 10 turns later or so, he showed up on my doorstep with about 8 3-3-1's! (some were 1-3-1 but still)! He had used the fungus and like an idiot I hadn't explored over there yet. I gave him biogenetics and IA to leave me alone, but really I wish he didn't accpet any bribe for peace, there's no way a human would. If I did it diferently, the number one thing I would have doen is at least inflitrate his empty base first, wehn I captured it I got 73 credits, but I would have paid double that for inflitration 10 turns later.

Wow, he discovered a new weapon!
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos Theory
      Wow, he discovered a new weapon!
      ?

Comment

Originally posted by dmm1285

?
        He was referring to your indication of 3-3-1 troops. There is no value weapon 3 in the regular game
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

oops

Originally posted by Flubber

He was referring to your indication of 3-3-1 troops. There is no value weapon 3 in the regular game
          4-3-1's

Comment

Also, a coulpe sensors would have come handy.

Comment

I guess you meant to say that Yang came at you with 4-3-1's, unless your AI modifications included weapons modifications.

So, what was the valuable lesson? Since you bribed him into peace talks, can't you still go and infiltrate him now? I imagine your rovers were able to locate more than just the one base that you destroyed by now, no?

Comment

I took it that he garnered these lessons . . .

1. Explore and monitor nearby fungus routes into your empire

2. Infiltrate whenever you can

I could also add.

3. Only start a war you intend to execute and win.
                You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I don't play SP much because there's just no challenge left. If I were playing a SP game though, I think killing 2 CP and eliminating a base is well worth some trouble in the form of payback. In SP I like to role play so beating up on Yang and stirring things up is just plain fun.

I think you're right though about monitoring nearby fungus, especially when you're at war. In general though, there are many reasons to start a war in this game of ours. I surely would place a higher priority on defeating the faction in question in PBEM vs SP, but reasons like slowing down an opponent's expansion and/or gaining more territory for yourself, or just showing some muscle, et.al., are valid reason to go to war too, IMHO.

Comment

Flubber nails the lesson right on the head. As Machiavelli puts it: 'Never do an enemy a mild injury'. Once you curtailed Yang's expansion and saw that they shared a landmass with you, your immediate priority should be their utter subjugation. I find this is true for any faction in any game. Factions sharing your landmass are there for one reason only, to provide you with bases and tech, which you will liberate with your inexhaustible armies.

Even when I play a builder faction, I'll make the elimination of landward competition a priority. The only thing that changes between my Morgan game and my Santiago game is when I choose to provoke the enemy and begin my assault.

Comment

Originally posted by Net Warrior
                      I don't play SP much because there's just no challenge left. If I were playing a SP game though, I think killing 2 CP and eliminating a base is well worth some trouble in the form of payback. In SP I like to role play so beating up on Yang and stirring things up is just plain fun.
                      Its just that once he hit Yang he did not follow up-- The invasion by Yang was completely top be expected and if I understand the situation correctly, he could have been very badly damaged had Yang not been so easy to buy off.

CEOAaron-- exactly !!!!

Comment

Aye, Machiavelli well quoted...
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Originally posted by Net Warrior
                          I guess you meant to say that Yang came at you with 4-3-1's, unless your AI modifications included weapons modifications.

So, what was the valuable lesson? Since you bribed him into peace talks, can't you still go and infiltrate him now? I imagine your rovers were able to locate more than just the one base that you destroyed by now, no?
                          Well, the bribe didn't last long, he eneded up attacking me a turn or two later again. He didn't end up taking that base but he took aniother one, and I eneded up fighting a crippling defensive war

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

Its just that once he hit Yang he did not follow up-- The invasion by Yang was completely top be expected and if I understand the situation correctly, he could have been very badly damaged had Yang not been so easy to buy off.

CEOAaron-- exactly !!!!
                            Coorect, attacking his conlony pods/base was just me being lazy, I didn't expect him to have the number of bases he did so early

Comment

Originally posted by dmm1285

Well, the bribe didn't last long, he eneded up attacking me a turn or two later again. He didn't end up taking that base but he took aniother one, and I eneded up fighting a crippling defensive war
                              You can never trust Yang to actually have a real truce or treaty if he thinks he *MIGHT* ba able to gain from a war with you. Ive played hundreds of games with his AI and he never backs down unless hes totally crippled

Also, on the harder difficulty levels he WILL devlop and use nuclear bombs

Comment

Working...
                              X