Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SMAX: "...Problem with Terranx.ICD.."?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMAX: "...Problem with Terranx.ICD.."?!?

Hello all. Just got out my old (from '99) copies of SMAC and SMAX a few days ago, and I've been having a blast remembering what a psycho b*tch Miriam is. I'm running the 4.0 patch of SMAC with no problems (other than the "CPU not supported" thing which I got around with that VoxelAlgorithm fix I picked up from this forum (thanks!)). However, try as I might, I can't get my copy of SMAX to work. Every time I've tried to install it (with/without 98 compatibility modes, 2.0 patch, XP patch), whenever I select "Play Alien Crossfire" from the opening SMAX menu, it shows the picture of that huge alien ship, then drops to the desktop with an error message saying something like "Windows has encountered a problem with Terranx.ICD. We are sorry for the inconvenience, etc.". Anyone else had this problem? Have you been able to get around it? While I guess I can be happy just playing SMAC, it's really irritating to see that nice shiny SMAX CD go unused....

FWIW, I'm running an AMD 3400+ with 1GB RAM and XP SP2.

Is .icd not the securom file? Would a cracked .exe solve this problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Senethro
      Is .icd not the securom file? Would a cracked .exe solve this problem?
      Thanks for the reply. I'm not extremely computer savvy - what is a securom file? And why would a cracked .exe be better than the one I legally purchased?

Comment

maybe that file is corrupted. right click on it and tell what its size is.

mine says 3,076,141 bytes,3,080,192 bytes on disk.

or it may be that smax hates amd more then intel(xp compatability patch and voxel algorithm are doing the trick for me, but some situations still crash such as when I had an Air superiority chopper defend against a penetrator.

Comment

Kid,

You said that you used Windows 98 compatibility mode. Try some or all of the other compatibility options, such as:

* Run in Windows 2000 emulation mode,
          * 256 colours,
          * No visual themes, or
          * No advanced text services
          "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
          -- Kosh

Comment

Originally posted by Petek
            Kid,

You said that you used Windows 98 compatibility mode. Try some or all of the other compatibility options, such as:

* Run in Windows 2000 emulation mode,
            * 256 colours,
            * No visual themes, or
            * No advanced text services
            Petek, I LOVE YOU!!!! I followed your suggestions, and got Crossfire to work! Yes!

Now, I just gotta get good enough to try an MP game one of these days.....

Thanks again!

Comment

Great! Maybe this will work with my dl:ed ISO of SMAX also?
              I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Working...
              X