Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Butcher, the Baker, the Banana-stick maker

Two questions:

One is with pre-designed units that pop up on build queues. There is a list of them in the alphax.txt under #units. Over time I've undertaken multiple attempts at adding my own pre-designed units to the list in the effort to encourage AI to build such things but my efforts have come to naught, and end up crashing terran.exe.

In particular, I've wanted to include the units of Fungicidal Formers, Probe Foils, Probe Cruisers, Police Citizens (1-1-1 Police), Clean Silk Guards (1-4-1 Clean), and Sky Colony Pods (colony pods on a needlejet chassis). I've followed all the rules, special ability tags, prereq, etc, for detailing pre-designed units, or so I think. To no avail.

Anyone care to exchange their experiences in pre-designed units in the alphax.txt? And what their drafted lines of text may be?

The other question is somewhat frivilous, but I'd like to be au fait: What is the deal with "banana" options in polls and banana gags in general on Apolyton? I have a feeling this phenomenon goes back years, probably to the early days of the forums. What caused it to come about?
    "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Re: The Butcher, the Baker, the Banana-stick maker

Originally posted by Marid Audran
    pre-designed units that pop up on build queues. There is a list of them in the alphax.txt under #units. Over time I've undertaken multiple attempts at adding my own pre-designed units to the list in the effort to encourage AI to build such things but my efforts have come to naught, and end up crashing terran.exe.
    Here is the guide for editing your alpha(x).txt file.

In particular, I've wanted to include the units of Fungicidal Formers, Probe Foils, Probe Cruisers, Police Citizens (1-1-1 Police), Clean Silk Guards (1-4-1 Clean), and Sky Colony Pods (colony pods on a needlejet chassis). I've followed all the rules, special ability tags, prereq, etc, for detailing pre-designed units, or so I think. To no avail.
    If you want, you can attach your edited file to this thread and I can look at it for you. Couple of things that people often mistake on is that they need to use a text editor. Also, never use the tab key while editing (always use the space key to move the cursor over to the next field on a line of text). I've also attached the alphax.txt file from my current SP Challenge - its go a host of new types of units in the #UNITS section. FYI in case having a working example in front of you helps as well.

Anyone care to exchange their experiences in pre-designed units in the alphax.txt? And what their drafted lines of text may be?
    Subs are a nice unit for the AI as they are hard to detect, but where to place it is always a big question as Doc:Init is parallel in the tech tree to Impact Weapons, but giving subs anything less in weaponry really makes them a waste. I've found that giving subs the marine detachment ability as well then gives the AI's the ability to capture all sorts of units (both land units being transported as well as naval units). Also, since the AI will never build land based AA units I've started including an "SP-88" which is available at either SFF or Doc:Air. This then counters the strategy of having an ac sit over your advancing hordes and the AI can't do anything about it. I'm also experimenting with other units for the AI, but the above two are the units I highly recommend (besides Googlie's Probe Crusier available with Doc:Init). For CMN'ing purposes I also give players Rover CP's to replace the 2nd (and 3rd) starting CP's, as this ehlps expedite the early game for players in that they can found their 2nd (and 3rd) bases more quickly. Same said for Rover Formers, but only if there aren't any Factions playing which automatically start with Cent Ecology.

The other question is somewhat frivilous, but I'd like to be au fait: What is the deal with "banana" options in polls and banana gags in general on Apolyton? I have a feeling this phenomenon goes back years, probably to the early days of the forums. What caused it to come about?
    Legacy. Tradition. Somewhere in the deep dark past of Apolyton someone started doing this (adding a banana to every poll). Now it has become a part of Apolyton Tradition to include a banana in your poll. Or in the case of SMAC players why its usually a "Xenobanana"......

D
    Attached Files

Comment

I must say that this is the best thread title ever.

Since Darsnan already covered the .txt files, I can help explain the banana option. It was born in Off Topic during the craziness called pollday. Banana option is used by posters who do not wish to vote for one of the poll options but wish to see the poll results.

The attachment will demonstrate what was pollday
      Attached Files
      SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
      The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Xenobanana was born during ACDG1.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Re: Re: The Butcher, the Baker, the Banana-stick maker

Originally posted by Darsnan
          Couple of things that people often mistake on is that they need to use a text editor. Also, never use the tab key while editing (always use the space key to move the cursor over to the next field on a line of text).
          Well Darsnan, that was exactly my problem: using the tab key to insert formatting space in the lines of my new units. Soon as I removed them my units loaded fine, no terranx.exe crashes. Thank you very much for the advice.

I've actually found that the AI uses AAA on its units as much as any ability they posess. The unit abilities I've never seen them use are non-lethal methods, polymorphic encryption (excellent for defenders in a fringe-base that may be vulnerable to mind control, or land-based attackers not in a stack), and high morale.

Thanks for elucidating the other point, Illuminatus.
          "I wake. I work. I sleep. I die. The dark of space my only sky. My life is passed, and all I've been will never touch the earth again." --The Ballad of Sky Farm 3, Anonymous, Datalinks

Comment

I think it was born in an on topic (Civ2 only, as SMAC and CtP didn't exist yet) poll about favorite specials but whoever started the poll left Fruit (which is depicted as bananas) out of the poll.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
            X