January SMAX SP Challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January SMAX SP Challenge

The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil.
    -- Sister Miriam Godwinson, "The Blessed Struggle"

Sister Miriam paused to reflect upon the lifetime of events that had led her to these convictions. In her duties as the U.N. Honorary Psych Chaplain for Re-integration Forces sent to countries decimated in the Crusader Wars, she had been confronted time and again by whole peoples and societies destroyed by the fabled Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. In the societies ravaged by War, it had been the new weaponry, spurred by recent technological breakthroughs, that had caused untold, and in some cases unexpectedly prolonged, damage in the areas they were used. In other societies it had been Diseases, in one generation so easily contained by the “miracle drugs” of science, yet only a few generations later wreaking an untold havoc amongst those the drugs were no longer effective against. In still others it was the natural disasters, often occurring because the arrogance of man had proclaimed that the “levies were safe”, or that the “super skyscrapers were impervious to earthquakes”, or that “drought is no longer a problem in this desert”. Untold times the proclamations had been made, only to be proven wrong in stark and tragic consequences for those who had believed these false prophets. Time and again in her capacity as Psych Chaplain Miriam had been there to assist the survivors of the worst follies of men, and to point them down the path of the One True Way. Some saw this as preying upon the weak and needful. Miriam knew in her heart of hearts that these accusers had never walked down the same war-shattered streets, never seen the starving orphans, nor comforted those ravaged by the diseases to which science now had no answer. No, it was not she who prayed upon the weak, but rather it had been Science that had led people astray by promises that couldn’t be kept!
    Drawing strength from these inner reflections and experiences Miriam returned to the present and the circumstances to which she and her followers now found themselves in: marooned on a strange alien planet with only the barest of necessities to survive, all contact with Earth lost, and faced with the realization that somewhere out there on this planet there were other Factions, some who would no doubt be openly hostile to her. However, considering how quickly the Unity had been destroyed, it was highly likely that most everyone else was in as bad a shape as her True Believers were. This would be to her advantage, as there would be those who would eagerly accept salvation from her Missionary Units that from her previous experience she planned on employing. And if there were those that resisted converting to the One True Way? Well, Miriam had experience in dealing with these matters as well…..
    Miriam looked over the initial reports as to her current circumstances: her followers had successfully landed on planet 4 Unity Formers, 4 Scouts, 4 Colony Pods, and a Transport Foil, all neatly landed in a beautiful bay that would, with a little cultivation, prove to be an Eden to her people.
    The final report though filled her with a sense of unease to which she couldn’t quite attach a reason to: her communications group indicated that the Unity had survived planetfall as well (or at least part of it), as the Unity’s beacon was broadcasting its current position, and it wasn’t far off. Finally, after much meditation and prayer on the thought Miriam arrived at a conclusion: the Unity was just another example of how Science had led people astray, and then let them down. Yes, Miriam thought to herself, just another reason not to trust Science and all of its false promises. Miriam vowed to herself she would keep this in mind in the coming years....

Welcome to the January SMAX SP Challenge! In this edition you will be playing as the Believers. All victory conditions have been enabled.

Setup as follows:

1. In your SMACX Scenarios folder create a subfolder labeled "January Challenge".
    2. Unzip the contents of the attached zip file into this folder.
    3. Start SMAX, select "Play Scenario", and select the scenario included in the folder.
    4. Once the game has started and to ensure that the game is working properly hit F1 (Datalinks) and verify that Robotic Assembly Plants are now available with Industrial Automation. If it is, then enjoy!

Please post your results/ observations/ comments into this thread.

And remember, when all else fails, praying can’t hurt...

D
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Darsnan; January 2, 2006, 17:49.

I played untill 2120.
    Haven't met anyone else, but as expected, they are all much higher on the power graph.
    Researched Industrial Base, will complete Info Netw. next turn
    Got pretty lucky with the unity pods : one earthquake doubled the available landmass and the others were either AA's (I have 4 or 5 of them now) or mineral-completions (used them on 4 or 5 recreation commons)
    I have about 8 bases now, but am still expanding (not much else to build right now)
    The 4 rover formers are still enough to cope with preparing the terrain for new bases and to plant forest. (so I didn't research cent. ecol. yet)
    I'm exploring and pod-popping with about 4 of my 8 scouts, 1 battle ogre mk1 and the transport foil.
    Now my foil is very close to the unity radar and will probably pick it up in 2 or 3 turns (have to find an entrance).

My general goal is to get Synth Missile Fuels as fast as possible, because it gives planet busters, tectonic missiles, fungal missiles, nessus mining stations, and a few other things...
    no sig

Comment

Good plan-- Doc Ini is probably a good secondary target since IIRC that was necessary for some of his predesigned naval units ( I playtested early versions)
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

omg @ the AI bonuses !!! lol

had to take a quick peak will definately give this a shot in a week or 2 when most of my exams are done
        Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

boreholes are supposed to give 3\6\6 right?

i have 8 techs in 2120 and have gone through about 1000 EC spent through AI help. they are very helpful
          if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi
            boreholes are supposed to give 3\6\6 right?

i have 8 techs in 2120 and have gone through about 1000 EC spent through AI help. they are very helpful
            Yes that borehole number is right

and yes the AI are very helpful in the early game. This is usual AI behavior toward any faction that is perceived as weak

Your number of techs seem about right compared to my playtests but the question is whether they are the right techs. I always hate getting techs early that kill my research rate
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It's 2138
              I have contact now with 3 factions. None of them helped me.
              Deidre threatened me, but "let it pass" when I said no way.
              Morgan treatied.
              Santiago treatied.
              My techs: soc psych, ind base, inf netw, plan netw, ind econ, researching cent ecol (finish in 2141)

Then, my battle ogre MK1 was teleported right next to Morgan Collections defended by 1 rover (on a "temple of planet" structure, pretty close to my island). I couldn't resist to break the treaty and attack it. After 3 succesfull attacks (Morgan always built a new rover there) I found the base left empty and took it. I was surprised TECHSTEAL is on I was even more surprised when I had the choice out of 8 techs. I chose the one I was currently researching (cent ecol) and switched research to ind. auto (finish in 2141). Morgan has 1 scout outside the base, but I guess I'll be able to deal with it.

Something strange though : after capturing that Morgan base, one of my own bases received an aerospace complex too.

I hope I can somehow persuade Morgan to be friends again though (or persuade some other AI to help me defend against Morgan).
              no sig

Comment

Being just half way through my first Transcend game (as Roze ), I suppose it's too early for tests like this..., so, since I'm storing these for the future, a small request: can you maybe include the text you prepare for posting as a quick "readme" in the zip?
                (I did it myself right now, but you know, for future challenges... )

And thanx for posting this!

Comment

Originally posted by Littiz
                  Being just half way through my first Transcend game (as Roze ), I suppose it's too early for tests like this..., so, since I'm storing these for the future, a small request: can you maybe include the text you prepare for posting as a quick "readme" in the zip?
                  (I did it myself right now, but you know, for future challenges... )

And thanx for posting this!
                  Take a look at CGN , there are a couple of scenarios with great storylines while not too difficult.

Comment

Transcended in 2242.

Empath Guild built in 2126.
                    Plan Nets research in 2128.IA expected(on f2 screen) in 2140.i have 7 techs atm.
                    IA researched in 2137.
                    My first size 7 base in MY 2150.
                    elected Governer in 2152.
                    synthetic fossil fuels, virtual world in 2157
                    instabuild a fission planet buster from a podpop. thats a new one on me...!
                    build MCC in 2160. also pop 2 unity foils in a row
                    Planetary trade pact in MY 2181.i have gotten the CBA and CF over the past few years(forgot to check it on log) and am outresearching univ
                    monopole magnets researched in 2181.am now ahead of all factions in tech,both in quality and number
                    research fusion power in 2189
                    Build Cloning Vats in 2190
                    build universal translator in 2196.
                    2202, i am now in the lead far enough i am getting penalty events
                    in 2206 a glance at tech screen shows im advancing about 8x as fast as univ, who are going much faster than the other AI. sparta has 400 pop which isnt that usefull considering they arnt using specalists.my own pop is 352
                    2210. switch to cybernetic.
                    build nano factory in 2211.
                    network backbone in 2212
                    2213, let Sparta take a base then retake it for a tech.
                    2214, a spartan force on IoD is spotted by probe cruisers. i build my first military unit,a wave shard chopper and send them to meet their maker...spartans make raid after raid which i handly defeat without bothering to use base garrisons(yes my bases are unggarrisoned)
                    2219 research secrets of alpha centauri. research is now at two turns for a tech
                    2221 quantum power.
                    2227 telepathic matrix built
                    2235 research Super Tensile Solids.
                    2236 research singularity mechanics and build the elevator univ actually research secrets of the manifold. i probe the tech from them.
                    2237 exceed 1000 population
                    2238 now have 2200+ population. clinical imortality...
                    2242 i end turn my way through the last techs,abandoning my empire to time.the turns are mind numbing to play at this point. build the Ascent.

If i had one complaint about the game, it was a little too easy. the AI were so wrapped up in fighting the builder factions couldnt really get a lead up and i was outbuilding everyone and had little incentive to play well. For the first 80 MY i didnt even use probes. also after the global warming passed its cutoff point my landmass expanded like mad. i was already outraising the waters as it was...

I predict an optimal transcend time of 2210 for this map, and could easily shave 20 turns off my time as it is.

This scenario was fun enough i might play it again with conquest in mind
                    Attached Files

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

I played the early years again with spam in mind and got 23 bases by 2136. i went with 50\50\0 (yes thats correct) after i researched plannets+ethcalc+nonlinear math and pacted with morgan,aki,and gaian. i went on a pwnzing spree and forcepacted univ and captured kopernick obsveratory,etc before 2140.

am deep in spartan turf now in 2161 with impact jets and chaos\missle rovers heading for Sparta Command (about 10 tiles away and about a million spartan jets and rovers away ) its insane the amount of troops they pour out im also 2v1ing morgan and aki in the north and took a few bases of them. they are heavily damaged and both at war with hive( courtesy of my probes) im also equal to sparta in pop\powergraph since 2150ish. of course i have all techs as i captured PDL which was in fort superiority from sparta(and of course univ has techshare1 i see ). i have the MCC and am building cruisers to transport reinforcements to sparta land

the spartans have lost seventy-two SP-88's to my troops

Im also in Fundamentalism so im being accurate to my faction My other SE is Green and i am not using Wealth, as the pursuit of such is evil ( )

I dont think i can win before 2200 though. maybe 2210-2220
                      Last edited by Kataphraktoi; January 26, 2006, 22:28.

Comment

I dont know why I've never played these before

It's refershing as hell to not know if I'm going to win or not, is there a back archive? Anyways, its 2122, I have 11 bases up, but I'm lagging a bit techwise, only have 5 techs (should have went for info first instead of ecology). Also, I'm in a pact with morgan vs aki and the hive, probabbly wouldnt have enetered the pact if I knew it would annoy the conciusness, but oh well. One nice thing about the pact is morgan's map; I swapped one of my bases for his one the second temple of planet so I can estabilsh a second core. The one thing I don't like about this scenario is that the map seems a little big.

Comment

Yeah Darsnans and the other good creations by chaos threory should def get a archive thread stickied
                          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Yeah, they should, that'd be more comfortable for the newbies

Comment

I think i won. My objective was conquest before 2200 and it looks like i can finish em before that for a Coop win, with only 14 turn to go. Yes im playing with (very minor) restrictions... Always War with at least 2-3 punks and only Fundy+Green. See above, i started the offensive around 2130s taking out Univ. Since then ive hit some milestones: Morgan surrenduring, Sparta begging for truce after total annihilation, the capture of Sparta Command renamed to represent the difficulty of making tough AI, and the CBA+CF. Upon the completion of the CF i sold 33 Bioenhance Centers, for 1400 EC, and i built them all myself....I already won a diplomatic victory awile ago.

I have 200 crawlers+328 Pop in 2186. Decent production possibilities. Crawlers and 3 mineral forests....
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X