Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borders...

Howdy.

I'm kinda new to smax (yes, that is possible ) and have a q...

I noticed that my borders dont expand more than 1 square from my city for a very long time, whereas most of the other factions expand their borders fairly quickly for 2 or 3 squares (and more)...

I play the university and the pirates cities expand 3 squares into the sea, just a couple of turns after being built. That annoys me cause they can built their cities so close to my territory...

Why is this?

In SMAC territory borders do not ecpand due to culture or something, they expand instantly upon city is built.
    If you see that the border is not expanding far enough, check for other faction's city on the other side - it must be 'pushing' the border.
    Also borders from land cities don't expand more than one tile away in the sea.

Welcome to SMACX!
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Wasn't this the first game to even have borders?

Comment

Re: Borders...

Originally posted by Daz
        I'm kinda new to smax (yes, that is possible ) and have a q...
        Arghh, I so envy you

Comment

Wasn't this the first game to even have borders?
          Yes but he apparently first played Civ.
          -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
          -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin
            In SMAC territory borders do not ecpand due to culture or something, they expand instantly upon city is built.
            If you see that the border is not expanding far enough, check for other faction's city on the other side - it must be 'pushing' the border.
            Also borders from land cities don't expand more than one tile away in the sea.

Welcome to SMACX!
            The only thing I would add is that a typical land base will cause your border to be 8 tiles away on land. If you see your border closer that means there is an opposing base within 16 tiles of your own and the border will be equidistant between the two bases ( with the extra tile . .. if an uneven number of tiles between them .. . going to the side with the base that was founded last IIRC)

Note also that a seabase adjacent to land will NOT be able to work those land tiles if they are in the territory of another faction ( except for with crawlers).
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
            X