Treatise on Morale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treatise on Morale

"Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate."

-- Col. Corazon Santiago, "Spartan Battle Manual"

Seeing the confusion there sometimes exists about morale, I thought a summary of what affects morale would be useful.
    Keep in mind this is pretty much a work in progress. Morale is a rather complex phenomenon, so probably there are many little things and oddities I left out, or phenomena I explained the wrong way. If you notice something missing or wrong, please don't hesitate and tell us all!

To begin with, here is an oversight of the different morale levels:

Very Green (+)
    Green
    Disciplined
    Hardened
    Veteran
    Commando
    Elite

Disciplined is the standard morale level where there are no battle modifiers. Each extra morale level above Disciplined gives a 12.5% battle bonus. This means +12.5% for Hardened to +50% for Elite. Each extra morale level under Disciplined gives a -12.5% battle penalty.

When a unit is built without any morale modifiers affecting it, it starts with green morale.

Two peculiarities should be noted here.

a) Note the (+) I put after 'Very Green". I've noticed that, even when you're for example running -4 Morale SE , it's impossible to have 'Very Green' morale tout court. It's always at the very least Very Green (+).

b) For most units, when they have elite morale, they gain an extra movement point.

A word about (+)'s.

For some units you will see there are one or more (+)'s behind their morale level. What is the meaning of those? Unfortunately there is no consistent rule for their effect. For instance, the (+) after Very Green morale level means a permanent +12.5% defence bonus in battle, both in and outside bases. On the other side the (+)'s received as a consequence of a positive SE Morale have a more limited effect. They only provide a +12.5% bonus when a unit is defending from attack inside a base. In the open the (+)'s have no effect whatsoever. Also 'Elite (+)' gives no extra bonus beyond 'Elite''s +50%.
    And when we start talking about (+)'s received as a consequence of Children's Creches, there is little logic at all anymore to be detected behind the (+)'s. But Children's Creches are an issue we will discuss later.

Now what factors all influence the morale level of units?

1) Morale Social Engineering Factor
    2) Morale Enhancing Base Facilities
    3) Monolith Upgrading
    4) Prototyping
    5) High Morale Special Ability
    6) Battle Upgrades
    7) Headquarters
    8) Drone Riots
    9) Children's Creches

1) Morale Social Engineering Factor

From alphax.txt:

#SOCMORALE
    -4, -3 Morale; + modifiers halved
    -3, -2 Morale; + modifiers halved
    -2, -1 Morale; + modifiers halved
    -1, -1 Morale
    0, Normal Morale
    1, +1 Morale
    2, +1 Morale (+2 on defense)
    3, +2 Morale! (+3 on defense)
    4, +3 Morale!!

Something that is often overlooked is that a positive or negative Social Engineering Morale does not equal an equivalent increase or decrease in morale levels. For example +2 SE Morale gives disciplined (+) troops, and not hardened troops.

The "+ modifiers halved" for -2 SE Morale and below halves the morale level bonus one gets for units built in bases with morale enhancing facilities.
    The extra defence bonus for +2 and +3 SE Morale only has effect when defending in bases. Also the bonus caps off at +50%: Commando (++) or Elite (+) units don't get a 67% defence bonus.

2) Morale Enhancing Base Facilities

The morale enhancing base facilities are as following:

Command Center: +2 Morale levels for land units built in a base with this facility
    Naval Yard: +2 Morale levels for naval units
    Aerospace Complex: +2 Morale levels for air units
    Bioenhancement Center: +2 Morale levels for all units

Keep in mind that the bonus effects of these facilities are halved for units built while running -2 SE Morale or lower.

3) Monolith Upgrading

When a land or naval combat unit for the first time moves on a square with a monolith in it, it has the option to upgrade and get a bonus of one morale level.
    I haven't tested this, but I've read that every time a unit upgrades on a monolith, the monolith has one chance on thirty-two (1/32) of disappearing.

4) Prototyping

A unit prototype gets a bonus of one morale level.

5) High Morale Special Ability

A unit with the 'high morale' special ability gets a bonus of one morale level. There are two things to keep in mind:
    a) When a unit built with the high morale special ability is upgraded to another design without that ability, the morale bonus still stays.
    b) When a unit built without the high morale special ability is upgraded to another design with high morale, it does not get a morale bonus.
    So it's the moment of building that counts.

6) Battle Upgrades

When a unit wins a battle, there is a certain chance this unit will receive a morale upgrade of one level. The probability of such a battle upgrade seems to differ depending on the current morale of the unit. The odds seem to decrease the higher the unit morale becomes. I have not done sufficient testing on this yet, but as a temporary hypothesis I’d say the chance for an upgrade after winning a battle, are:
    1/1 for very green and green units
    1/2 for disciplined units
    1/3 for hardened units
    1/4 for veteran units
    1/5 for commando units

One possible tip, knowing this, is, instead of first moving a unit on a monolith and then sending it off to whatever destination you want, is first letting it fight several battles until it becomes 'commando', and then use a monolith to obtain that last difficult morale boost. This is of course risky, as you can never be sure a unit will be able cross the path of a monolith when you want it to.

I should mention a special situation for very green units. Under -3 & -4 SE Morale new built units in bases without any morale enhancing facilities such as creches or command centers will at first not receive any morale upgrades - in contradiction of what I claim above: that very green units always upgrade. The reason for this is probably that the game takes into account virtual morale levels under Very Green. For example under –3 SE Morale units receive minus 2 morale levels, which basically makes new trained units Very VERY Green. Therefore they first need to win a battle and virtually upgrade to Very Green. Only with their second victory will they become Green. Likewise under -4 SE Morale units will only upgrade to green after winning their third battle.

7) Headquarters

The manual says a unit defending in a Headquarters get one bonus morale level. I have not been able to replicate any such effect.

8) Drone Riots

A unit homed to a base under drone riots gets a (-) morale modifier. What the exact effects of this (-) are, I have not fully and systematically researched. I did some limited testing though, and from this I can say:

Under positive SE Morale a drone riot gives a -12.5% (-) combat penalty.as you would expect.

0 SE Morale: in normal situations no effect, positive nor negative. Very Green units get a +12.5% attack bonus when in a base with a creche. But of course it's impossible to have very green units under +0 SE Morale. Just a little test with the scenario editor on.

Under -1 and -2 SE Morale units homed to a base without a crèche seem to get a +12.5% attack bonus. They get it everywhere: in open terrain, in crecheless bases and in bases with creches (in addition to the combat bonus they already get from the creche itself)! Units homed to a base with a creche do not seem to get a combat bonus, but neither do they suffer a penalty.

When I did some limited testing under -3 SE Morale it became ever weirder. There units homed to a crecheless base got a 25% combat bonus both when attacking and defending. Units homed to a creche base got a 12.5% combat bonus both for attack and defense.

In short, the effects of drone riots on morale are even more bugged than the effects of children’s creches which you can read lower. There are even more factors influencing the effect of morale under drone riots, and more combinations possible, then there are when testing creches. So testing this fully would require lots of time. Seeing drone riots rarely happen, and considering I can imagine more fun or useful things to do with my time, I hope you’ll forgive if I leave it to the short conclusion mentioned above: it’s seriously bugged.

9) Children's Creches

A Children’s Creche (CC) has a double effect on morale.
    On the one side it gives a morale bonus to units, built in a base with a CC, of a faction running a negative SE Morale. This bonus counts on every location.
    On the other side a Children’s Creche gives a battle bonus to units on the base square of a base with a CC. This is (supposed to be) represented in the form of (+)’s. Unfortunately the (+)’s are in some cases a bad indication of the actual battle modifiers given.

A summary of the effects of the CC are as follows:

For any unit built in a base with Children’s Creche, no matter their location:

0 SE Morale or higher: no difference.
    -3 to -1 SE Morale: +1 morale level
    -4 SE Morale: +2 morale levels

For units on a base square, the base having a Children’s Creche :

When the unit is defending:

0 SE Morale or higher: +12.5% (+) battle bonus
    -1 & -2 SE Morale or higher: +25% (++) battle bonus
    -3 SE Morale: +37.5% (+++) battle bonus
    -4 SE Morale: +50% (++++) battle bonus

The total defence bonus (the sum of the morale level bonus and the (+) boni) is capped off at +50%.

When the unit is attacking:

+4 SE Morale: -37% battle penalty
    +3 SE Morale: -25% battle penalty
    +2 SE Morale: -12.5% battle penalty
    +1 SE Morale: no difference
    0 SE Morale: +12.5% battle bonus
    -1 SE Morale: +25% battle bonus
    -2 SE Morale: +25% battle bonus
    -3 SE Morale: +37.5% battle bonus
    -4 SE Morale: +50% battle bonus

If one would want to find some system in this, the following could work:

For positive SE Morale: base morale level + 12.5% (the intended CC effect according to the datalinks) – a certain # of +12.5% boni equal to the #of SE Morale (Not intended AFAIK)

For negative SE Morale -1 and -2 both give the same bonus. So a formula could be like this:
    Battle modifier: base morale level + 12.5% + a # of +12.5% boni equal to the morale levels you lose because of negative SE Morale.

For attacks there is no limit at all for the battle bonus.
    Don’t take the (+)’s behind your unit morale as an indication of the battle modifier it will receive. It is a good indication for when your unit is defending, but, when you have positive SE Morale, the actual battle effect is totally different.

As you can see, Firaxis seriously ****ed up this base facility. Because of it, as long as you have Creches it is often better to have a negative SE Morale than a positive or neutral SE Morale. It makes running Wealth not a problem at all. Indeed, even recommendable when you’re fighting a defensive war.

This can lead to weird situations. To give an example, you could build a unit while running +4 SE Morale in a base with a Crèche, Command Center and Bioenhancement Center. This unit is elite. When defending in a base, it has a +50% battle bonus (capped off). But when it attacks from the base square, it only has a +12.5% battle bonus, because of the -37.5% battle penalty Firaxis (I presume) as a mistake or lack of playtesting added to the CC effects.

Now imagine you switch to -4 SE Morale. The unit is still veteran. After all, the -3 morale levels of -4 SE Morale is largely compensated by the +2 morale levels from the Children’s Creche. Added to that comes four (+)’s when being in a CC base square. So when fighting it will have a defence bonus of +50% (same as eight morale levels higher) and an attack bonus of +75%, which is 67.5% higher than the unit fighting under +4 SE Morale.

As a conclusion, these are some obvious tips for factions with positive SE Morale to counter chreches:

1) Avoid attacking from inside bases. It would actually be in your advantage to move one tile out of a base, attack, and then move back into the base if possible.

2) Never let units end their turn next to an enemy base with a Children's Creche.

3) Perhaps if one can spare the resources, sending some probes along to destroy Creches in bases one plans to attack could be a good solution.
    Last edited by Maniac; January 7, 2006, 20:58.
    Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
    Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Also posted here with some discussion ongoing.

Comment

Re: Treatise on Morale

Originally posted by Maniac

When a unit wins a battle, there is a certain chance this unit will receive a morale upgrade of one level. The probability of such a battle upgrade seems to differ depending on the current morale of the unit. Very green and green units will always get a morale boost after winning a battle. After that, the odds seem to decrease the higher the unit morale becomes. I have not done sufficient testing on this yet, but as a temporary hypothesis I’d say the chance for an upgrade after winning a battle, are:
      1/3 for hardened units
      1/4 for veteran units
      1/5 for commando units
      While I'm not 100% sure, I think this is only partially correct. You said that green units or very green units always get an upgrade. That is true, however, this applies to all new units...

For example, if you just built a new veteran unit, after the next battle, that unit automatically becomes commando...

I think you have the ratios right, however, they aren't related to the moral level of the unit, rather, the moral level of when the unit was built....a hardened unit will still be treated like a green unit for getting the first upgrade guarenteed...

Comment

These are the test results for checking the chance of a morale upgrade:

Attacking unit morale: very green/green: always upgrade
        Disciplined: 31/56
        Hardened: 19/64
        Veteran: 16/65
        Commando: 16/69
        I did 70 tests for each – of course sometimes the attacking unit lost, explaining the different amount of test results per morale level.

Personally whan playing SMAC lately it were mostly the Spartans - a high morale faction in other words - and I have never noticed the phenomena you mention.

Comment

I've started looking a bit more into the effects of drone riots on morale.

Temporary conclusions:
          When you're running a positive Morale SE, your units of bases in riots get a -12.5% combat penalty.
          When you're running 0 SE Morale, there's no effect.
          When you're running -1 SE Morale, your Very Green units get a +12.5% combat bonus when attacking...

Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

When you're running -1 SE Morale, your Very Green units get a +12.5% combat bonus when attacking...
            if you get attacked either outside or in a base with drone riots,creche in the home base,and very green, they only get a 12.5 negative,which is a 12.5 boost. i just tested it(was testing PB 's atm anyway)
            if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

These are the test results for checking the chance of a morale upgrade:

Attacking unit morale: very green/green: always upgrade
              I've seen on several occasions that very green and green units, at least under Wealth, do not always upgrade after their first battle won.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirov
                I've seen on several occasions that very green and green units, at least under Wealth, do not always upgrade after their first battle won.
                I've tested again under Wealth, and I can't repeat your conclusions: my (very) green units always upgrade. If you encounter it again, could you please post a save where a unit doesn't upgrade?

Oh btw, I intend to replace the section on drone riots by this:

6) Drone Riots

A unit homed to a base under drone riots gets a (-) morale modifier. What the exact effects of this (-) are, I have not fully and systematically researched. I did some limited testing though, and from this I can say:

Under positive SE Morale a drone riot gives a -12.5% (-) combat penalty, as you would expect.

0 SE Morale: in normal situations no effect, positive nor negative. Very Green units get a +12.5% attack bonus when in a base with a creche. But of course it's impossible to have very green units under +0 SE Morale. Just a little test with the scenario editor on.

Under -1 and -2 SE Morale units homed to a base without a crèche seem to get a +12.5% attack bonus. They get it everywhere: in open terrain, in crecheless bases and in bases with creches (in addition to the combat bonus they already get from the creche itself)! The bonus also applies to units that aren’t very green because they were built in eg a command center base. Units homed to a base with a creche do not seem to get a combat bonus, but neither do they suffer a penalty.

When I did some limited testing under -3 SE Morale it became ever weirder. There units homed to a crecheless base got a 25% combat bonus both when attacking and defending. Units homed to a creche base got a 12.5% combat bonus both for attack and defense.

In short, the effects of drone riots on morale are even more bugged than the effects of children’s creches which you can read lower. There are even more factors influencing the effect of morale under drone riots, and more combinations possible, then there are when testing creches. So testing this fully would require lots of time. Seeing drone riots rarely happen, and considering I can imagine more fun or useful things to do with my time, I hope you’ll forgive if I leave it to the short conclusion mentioned above: it’s seriously bugged.

Comment

Column #225; By `Maniac` (Part 1/2)

The first part of the two-hundred-and-twenty-fifth edition of "The Column" is now online. Written by Apolyton Civilization Site`s forum user 'Maniac', it is the beginning of his "Treatise on Morale" in Alpha Centauri. Down on your morale in the game? Let this international politics student in Belgium start to clear the cloudy skies of confusion to make for a sunny day on Chiron.

Comments on this piece are welcome in the related forum thread and/or via email in communicating directly to the author. The article was originally published in full on December 15 of this year.

---------
                  Dan; Apolyton CS

Note: Link to column above corrected.
                  Last edited by DanQ; January 7, 2006, 23:22.
                  PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                  >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Column #225; By `Maniac` (Part 2/2)

The second part of the two-hundred-and-twenty-fifth edition of "The Column" is now online. Written by Apolyton Civilization Site`s forum user `Maniac`, it is the end of his "Treatise on Morale" in Alpha Centauri. Down on your morale in the game? Let this international politics student in Belgium finish clearing the cloudy skies of confusion to make for a sunny day on Chiron.

Comments on this piece are welcome in the related forum thread and/or via email in communicating directly to the author. The article was originally published in full on December 15 of this year.

--------
                    Dan; Apolyton CS
                    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Re: Column #225; By `Maniac` (Part 2/2)

Originally posted by DanQ
                      The second part of the two-hundred-and-twenty-fifth edition of "The Column" is now online.
                      Link corrected.

Thanks to Kirov who sent a save file of a very green unit not upgrading, the part about battle upgrades has been rewritten. After some testing I assume it works like this. Does this look correct to everyone?

6) Battle Upgrades

When a unit wins a battle, there is a certain chance this unit will receive a morale upgrade of one level. The probability of such a battle upgrade seems to differ depending on the current morale of the unit. The odds seem to decrease the higher the unit morale becomes. I have not done sufficient testing on this yet, but as a temporary hypothesis I’d say the chance for an upgrade after winning a battle, are:
                      1/3 for hardened units
                      1/4 for veteran units
                      1/5 for commando units

One possible tip, knowing this, is, instead of first moving a unit on a monolith and then sending it off to whatever destination you want, is first letting it fight several battles until it becomes 'commando', and then use a monolith to obtain that last difficult morale boost. This is of course risky, as you can never be sure a unit will be able cross the path of a monolith when you want it to.

I should mention a special situation for very green units. Under -3 & -4 SE Morale new built units in bases without any morale enhancing facilities such as creches or command centers will at first not receive any morale upgrades - in contradiction of what I claim above: that very green units always upgrade. The reason for this is probably that the game takes into account virtual morale levels under Very Green. For example under –3 SE Morale units receive minus 2 morale levels, which basically makes new trained units Very VERY Green. Therefore they first need to win a battle and virtually upgrade to Very Green. Only with their second victory will they become Green. Likewise under -4 SE Morale units will only upgrade to green after winning their third battle.

Comment

Column updated accordingly:

-----------
                        Dan; Apolyton CS

P.S. Link in my first post updated as need be as well. Thanks for pointing this out, Maniac... I think.  

Comment

Re: Re: Column #225; By `Maniac` (Part 2/2)

I pondered the very very green units' upgrade, but I'm still unsure about the whole thing. How does the program "know" not to display the "promoted to very green" popup? Was it foreseen by the designers? How come this exceptional rank isn't documented? We do have zero population growth (SMAC only) in the datalinks even though it's impossible to reach with default values. If we have two very very green units, and one receives this invisible upgrade, and then we switch to power, will the promoted unit come out with a higher morale?

I'm not trying to discredit your excelent work, it's just that the minimum morale part is a bit speculative compared to the rest of the article, which relies heavily on experimentation.

I hope I'm not being too *****y.

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ
                            Column updated accordingly:
                            Thanks.

Originally posted by Leon Trotsky
                            I pondered the very very green units' upgrade, but I'm still unsure about the whole thing. How does the program "know" not to display the "promoted to very green" popup? Was it foreseen by the designers? How come this exceptional rank isn't documented?
                            Well there are many things not documented. Eg the additional skunkworks effect. Though I too find this a little strange. Why did they manage to get this right but still screw up the drone riots which don't have these virtual morale levels? Only the programmers can tell I guess.

If we have two very very green units, and one receives this invisible upgrade, and then we switch to power, will the promoted unit come out with a higher morale?
                            Yes indeed, that would be my prediction. That's the discovery this addition to the article is based on. Kirov flamed a mind worm with a very green scout patrol, but it didn't upgrade. Then he changed his SE Value from Wealth to Survival, and the next turn the unit became green, while the other units stayed very green.

When under Wealth, Kirov was under -3 SE Morale, which gives -2 morale levels. When he switched out of Wealth, he had -1 SE Morale, which gives minus one morale level. So the most logical explanation I can see is that under Wealth the combined effect of minus two morale levels plus one battle upgrade is still minus one morale level => very green. Under -1 SE Morale the morale level penalty and the battle upgrade counter each other, resulting in green morale.

To verify this hypothesis, I then tested out this save where the Gaians were Eudaimonic besides Wealthy. This results in -4 SE Morale (well, actually minus five but minus 4 is the absolute bottom that has any effect). There it took three battles to see an upgrade. The explanation would be here that the unit was Very VERY *VERY* Green.

I then tried a battle with the Gaians under Wealth (not Eudaimonic), but this time I had given the base a command center. A scout patrol was then built and flamed a mind worm. It immediately upgraded. So the hypothesis holds: minus two levels due to SE Morale, but plus one due to the command center (remember the effect is halved under -2 SE Morale and lower). The unit had thus 'normal' Very Green morale and could upgrade to green.

So this addition is based on experiments (though not as extensive as I did for the creche effect). That doesn't mean what I have written can't be wrong of course. If like Kirov you find an example where this theory doesn't hold and can post a save file of it, it should of course be further looked into and the article adapted if necessary.

Comment

As for me, Maniac's experimentation looks conclusive, but I'd also like to know more about very very green morale, as well as about green morale of probe teams. I thought maybe Darsnan happens to know something? He somehow managed to read pieces of hardcoding directly, not via experimentation.

I've just e-mailed him on this matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X