No announcement yet.

Liberating eliminated faction leaders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberating eliminated faction leaders?

Greetings all...

I've just reinstalled SMAC and SMACX, and it's been a long time since I last played... The problem with this is, I can't clearly remember how much of what I remember about the game is accurate.
    Getting to the point, is it or has it ever been possible to liberate eliminated faction leaders from the faction that finished them off? I seem to recall using probe teams to do so, and generating a sea escape pod and a submissive-pact ally in that way.
    Anyone know anything about this, or is it just my overactive imagination?

Yes, this is possible in SMAX (but not in SMAC). Just send a probe team to the HQ of the faction that eliminated the other faction. When you attempt to probe the base, one of the options will be to free the captured leader.

If the probe action succeeds, the eliminated faction will spawn somewhere on the map and will be submissive to you.
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Does the AI ever do this to a human player who was destroyed ? :-)

Anyway, I have never done something like that, and I don't think I would. Maybe once to try its effect, but I don't think it's very usefull. Does it work in pbem's ? To resurrect your dead pactmate or something ?
      no sig

Comment

AFAIK, it works only on AI factions.
        He who knows others is wise.
        He who knows himself is enlightened.
        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by PJayTycy
          Does the AI ever do this to a human player who was destroyed ? :-)

Anyway, I have never done something like that, and I don't think I would. Maybe once to try its effect, but I don't think it's very usefull. Does it work in pbem's ? To resurrect your dead pactmate or something ?
          IN single player the game is over so we never know what happened to us.

IN PBEMS it never happens that I have ever seen. THat would be interesting . .. get eliminated and then two months and 20 game turns later, get an email saying you are playing again but have to be submissive to your rescuer. A bit too strange to contemplate really
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Ive done it in SP many times

Comment

Freeing a captured AI faction leader can be useful in single player games; especially if you need an extra yea or nay for a council vote.

Of course, this may apply to multiplayer games as well (if the feature is available in multiplayer games). However, freeing a captured human player would go against common PBEM practice where the defeated player "self destructs" to avoid a turn bug. Hence, the eradicated faction's leader would reside in no enemy headquarters (at least, I believe this is the consequence).

I don't know if the AI is capable of freeing a captured faction leader and I don't know if a human controlled faction would remain human controlled after eradication and a successful freeing attempt. I believe these issues could be tested.

Finally, a custom scenario or challenge game idea could revolve around captured faction leaders that you may wish to free quickly to gain some loyal support against a poweful enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                Of course, this may apply to multiplayer games as well (if the feature is available in multiplayer games).
                Lady Deedee in Naval Clash, Rubin?
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Stupid DB's.
                  -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

[SIZE=1]If the probe action succeeds, the eliminated faction will spawn somewhere on the map and will be submissive to you.
                    Yeah, and that "somewhere" can sometimes be in a very inappropriate places. I was playing pirates and had a nice island with 4 boreholes next to my HQ. I liberated Spartans and guess where they'd built their base . They left me no choice but to build a base for them at some distance from my empire, then destroy the "invader" and force them to submit again .

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                      Lady Deedee in Naval Clash, Rubin?

I had completely forgotten about that, GeoModder! In that particular PBEM you managed to free AI Deirdre from the human controlled Nautilus headquarters and, I think, gift her a few strategically placed bases during your subsequent naval conquest.

For anyone interested the turn thread reports concerning the liberation start here: Naval Clash

Comment

Originally posted by Rubin
                        ... and, I think, gift her a few strategically placed bases during your subsequent naval conquest.
                        Naval defense if you please, I wasn't the REAL agressor.
                        And those strategic bases didn't do her much good in view of the space elevator. If only that second 'buster wasn't intercepted...

Edit: Actually, was quite a nice re-read... sure brings back the memories.
                        Last edited by GeoModder; December 15, 2005, 09:01.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Working...
                        X