resolution reverts to 800x600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• resolution reverts to 800x600

Ok, I have a resolution problem. I was thinking of getting back to SMAC after a long break and since the game has been in my hard drive for all these years I thought it would work just fine.

But now everytime I start the game and skip the intro movie, it briefly shows the normal 1024x768 main menu but then the screen gets blank and comes back with 800x600!

I've tried the Video Mode=1024 and Direct Draw=0 settings but nothing is different, I still end up with 8x6...

I have Ati 9550 with latest omega drivers and an lg 17" tft display. running windows xp sp2..

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I wanna play good ol' 2d again after trying out civ4...

Here's the thread in which the DirectDraw setting was discussed. Is this of any help? If not, please post your Alpha Centauri.ini file.

(I just noticed that in your post you have Direct Draw as two words, but it should just be one word. Could that be the problem?)
    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
    -- Kosh

Comment

Ah thank you so much! I had the same problem

Comment

thanks for the link, it helped! I had put the Video Mode=1024 after [preferences] when it should have gone under [alpha centauri] in the ini file..

The graphics are still worse than I remembered though. Colours are not so crisp and the horizontal black lines are very noticable. Oh well, I guess it's because my tft display scales the 1024 resolution poorly...
        ...even Deirdre doesn't look as good as she used to!

Or am I just being nostalgic?

Comment

Directdraw=0 with no video mode specified should run on your tft native resolution to get rid of the artifacts.
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
          X