Keyboard/mouse placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyboard/mouse placement

Can't figure out if this belongs in this forum or shold be in the OT - though, it has impact on my SMAC/X playing so here it goes

SMAC/X is quite difficult to play without the use of a mouse IMHO - the same goes for several other games. Well, early in my start of gameplay I found out that my mousearm tended to get sore after only a couple of hours of playing. Since that annoyed me in at least two ways (less play and bad arm) I experimented a little.

The experiment was quite simple - I switched keyboard and mouse, and the result was amazing. I haven't had a sore mouse arm since, I can have my ashtray, glas of wine, bucket of peanuts etc in front of me - I even can rest my head in my left palm studying the screen without interference of the bulky keyboard

I admit that it sometimes gets a little funny when there are heavy keyboard/mouse actions - right arm controlling the mouse and left arm crossing to handle the keyboard

Still, despite that awkwardness I can play without ever worrying about any physical pains.

The question is if I actually use the mouse too much and could rely more on the keyboard. Please tell about your preferred gaming setup.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

laptop about 50 cm away, mouse in front of that, turned 90° to a normal setup. I just can't move my units with the laptop keyboard. The only keys I use are the F1-F7 keys, the crawling key (O), the terraforming commands, the paradrop (I), but most of all the "I'll move this unit later"-key.

On my desktop, I don't really use the mouse at all (in the main screen), in the other screens I use it sometimes (ie: to change civics & sliders).
    no sig

Comment

Working...
    X