single player woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• single player woes

No one will care about this but thought I'd post it anyway..

So started my first transcend game in awhile of AC after getting smacked in a MP game (called triage). Things were going along great was 2167 had several cites had changed to demo wealth snagged the virtual world (playing as uni) and was about to snag the human genome project. Had lifted the nutrient restrictions and made contact with the spartans and the gianins. Spartans had declared war on me but hadn't seen them for ten turns so wasn't worried. Then the believers made contact, demanded tech, I said no they declared war (no surprize) still not worried I had lazers and good defense. Then low and behold she shows up with impact rovers! One of the AI had given her impact technology!! (since there is no way she could have researched it that quickly surly even on transcend) so know I have to research impact weaponry and actually find and destroy her. Probably also loose my place as the one with the most tech since I will no longer be able to stay in free market and wealth....UG! Ok I feel better now...
    A university faculty is 500 egoists with a common parking problem

Miriam can very easily research impact weapons by 2167, since it's just 3 techs in...
    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
    -BBC news

Comment

My thoughts

1. IN 2167 I half expect people to be showing up with missile weapons (if two factions are trading the etch growth can be very very fast

2. Did you not have any infiltration on anyone? It seems you were taken completely by surprise.

3. a "good defense" should be able to handle some impact rovers.

4. It sometimes pays to suck up the AI early-- at least until you know the lay of the land
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

hmm didn't think so was running a free market on a huge map so no hadn't gotten infiltration yet..had some defense but not much at all. Do now. Tis 2207 and have taken over several of her cities. She is destroying the hive as well which is interesting to watch. Now though she has missles and air so should be interesting!

Comment

It's usually best to keep expanding until you can find yourself a natural choke point against the AI where you are always ready for something to show up. Either a tight land area where your rovers can patrol against the enemies or getting right upto the coastline since the AI is lousy at launching amphibious assaults. Also if you crawl minerals first then you can quickly pump out enough crawlers to completely fill the coastline and stop the enemy landing at all until they've got amhip pods or drop troops to bypass that (though by that time you should have aerospace complexes+noodles to counter that).

Good on you for telling the AI to get lost though, none of that lets all be friends and build together rubbish

Last edited by Lazerus; December 2, 2005, 11:59.
          Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Well she was on the same landmass as me so she showed up and declared war before I had a change to expand that much. My early crawlers usually go as well to wonders and this time I had to stop building them to have every city build weapons just to survive the believers research is amazing...

Comment

One thing that bugs me in SP play is when you start on a humungous map (I'm fond of 256 x 256) and then the game starts all 7 factions in the same 10,000 square-tile corner (out of the 65,000 available!!)

My counter is, as soon as I've discovered flex, I send a colony pod or 2 for about 30 to 50 turns to some remote landmass and set up a "splinter faction" (which, of course, I actually control and which suffers huge inefficiency penalties)

But still the AI seems unerringly to beeline for me - ah well. It's just a game

Comment

Single Player Woes

One of the reasons that I got involved in building SP Challenges is that I got really tired of playing 60 turns into a randomly generated game only to realize that a majority of the AI's hadn't even researched Centauri Ecology yet! What a waste of time!
                What with the most recent round of discoveries by mart7X5 and Chaos Theory in the realm of generating SP Challenges, why I am working on some new tweaks into my next challenge. Showing some promise so far. Will update you all later....

D

Comment

maybe one day the AI will beat a human and declare they no longer have need of us and play amongst themselves
                  Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

Working...
                  X