Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mass confusion
    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

well you know the thing with the first impression failing...especially all that genetic engineering and cybernetic enhancing of humkan body in 2100's

- lauri the futures sciences student
      Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Method
        Are you serious? I've never seen the AI do anything useful with Sparta.
        They build like three hyper-inefficient cities, run Power so they have no industry, and create six Elite military units. Apparently that counts as something useful.
        Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

Actually, Sparta has once caused me trouble in the past. They began on the Monsoon jungle and overrun 4 other factions from there. If AC had a domination victory, they would have won
          They beat me to air power and killed about 40% of my crawlers before I beat them off I wasn't in the mood for micromanaging an eternal war after that, so I gave up.

Comment

Originally posted by Worker Bee
            Well, come on. "Learn to embrace the self of society . . . the goals of the collective outweigh those of the individual, and to achieve them is to achieve transcendance"? That's sort of (meaning extremely vaguely, and in a distinctly American way) a dumbed down version of Maoism, but instead of the formal, bureaucratized language of Maoism, it gets expressed in Taoist terminology.

It's traditional for dictators to have classical interests, but the classicism (most of the time, at least) doesn't masquerade as political theory. There are good reasons for this. Dictators have to run societies, and that means taking politics as politics, even if the politics is based on some underlying racial theory.
            Remember that Yang runs a totalitarian, not authoritarian society. There's a great deal of differences between them, ideology including. The latter doesn't need any specific ideolo, it treats it just as a tool to enforce obedience. In true totalitarianism ideology is omnipresent, a dictator needs it for people controlling each other in the name of ideology. What's more, it's essential in order to "love Big Brother". You love him not because he has secret police, but because he represents Our Ideology and impersonates "the will of the party". Having said that, I think The Hive greatly needs some kind ideology (of course twisted for political and pragmatical reasons), and this whole Taoist talk is a very good choice, one that makes Hive quotes read so well.

Basically all the faction leaders are cultural stereotypes deformed into political philosophy. Lal is Ghandiesque, which is why he has to appear before you in full (but undefinably) ethnic regalia. Deirdre, Miriam, Zhakarov, same thing. Santiago and Morgan aren't so bad, but it might just be because I can't figure out the twisted ethnic logic, because one of the designer's motivations was clearly to emphasize the ethnicity and "distinctiveness" of the various faction leaders.
            Come on, Morgan is simply stereotypical yankee.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirov
              Having said that, I think The Hive greatly needs some kind ideology (of course twisted for political and pragmatical reasons), and this whole Taoist talk is a very good choice, one that makes Hive quotes read so well.
              Anyone else notice that Yang's last quotes are around Bio-Engineering/Probability Mechanics, earlier even than Fusion Power; are we supposed to infer that the Hive does not make it into the far future?
              - NanoDingo [INTJ, E6]

Comment

Not if Lazarus has anything to say about it.
                He who knows others is wise.
                He who knows himself is enlightened.
                -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

Originally posted by Kirov

Come on, Morgan is simply stereotypical yankee.
                  Morgan is from Africa.
                  Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

"When I was seventeen I walked into the jungle, and when I was twenty-one I walked out. And by God I was rich...The jungle is dark, but full of diamonds."
                    - Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman
                    - NanoDingo [INTJ, E6]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President

Morgan is from Africa.
                      Yeah, but he fits the picture of an American POSH. Dee is for example from Scotland, but there's no stereotype of green-looney Scots. So I figure the actua cultural backgroung is different from the 'culture' (or stereotype) one represents.

Originally posted by NanoDingo
                      Anyone else notice that Yang's last quotes are around Bio-Engineering/Probability Mechanics, earlier even than Fusion Power; are we supposed to infer that the Hive does not make it into the far future?
                      Have anyone noticed that Miriam's quotes are actually not so bad? I mean, she is against hi-tech and all, but in that she does not resemble slobbering religious freaks we know all too well from RL. No "let's burn book, they are the work of Satan" and so on.

"Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesteryear. But it was never the streets that were evil." Well, looking at her repulsive face I could think she's more stupid than that.

We must dissent.

EDIT: stupid typos.
                      Last edited by Kirov; December 5, 2005, 09:05.

Comment

She's "Beware" the whole game, but she's there for at least till Artificial Intelligence and the Bulk Transmitter warning us about the (possible) evils of technology.
                        He who knows others is wise.
                        He who knows himself is enlightened.
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

She's not "Beware!" Psi-Gates, which is a bit odd, considering her sentiments towards the Bulk Matter Transmitter. Silly loon.
                          - NanoDingo [INTJ, E6]

Comment

thats because Psigates would likely involve transporting your soul,whereas a Bulk matter transmitter would possibly leave things behind

not that i care-i just wouldnt use it.screw yourself if you want i say,on the ''evils of technology''

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. President

They build like three hyper-inefficient cities, run Power so they have no industry, and create six Elite military units. Apparently that counts as something useful.
                              i have had very strong spartans in several games,where they actually had some air units and stuffs. unfortunatly in un-ai-boosted smac, 'very strong' ai just dosnt cut it as far as a meaningful threat goes

Comment

If you watch Miriam's slide show during diplo, you see one shot of her when younger looking disturbingly hot.

Comment

Working...
                                X