overwhelmed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overwhelmed

I always got overwhelmed by the game. Percisely the units not being upgraded. The techs are coming out so quickly and the units are usually behind. And I have some from the stone age, some moderately advanced, and some almost up to date. And it's like hell to manage these units and figure out who is what. So is there a solution for this?

Have you switched off the Unit autodesign ? (not the right name, but describes this annoying feature well).

Don't design new units every time you invent an armour or weapon - wait for example for plasma shards before upgrading weapons - that is of course if you are at peace with your neighbours .

From time to time, upgrade obsolete designs even if you doesn't have any units of that kind - it keeps your unit line in Unit design clean and much faster to work with.

Don't design/build special units unless you need them - use the KISS principle .
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
      Don't design/build special units unless you need them - use the KISS principle .
      QFT. The game likes to design all sorts of useless units as soon as you discover the appropriate technology if you leave that feature on. It loves best weapon/best armour foils and cruisers for instance, something which I never use. Standard units i like to keep around:
      - formers, colony pods, transports and crawlers
      - best-1-2 rovers (or tanks if i get that far)
      - 1-best-1 trance ecm defenders (or AAA if opponents are using air units)
      - best-1-1 infantry if i am so inclined.
      - best-1-6 cruisers or best-1-4 foils
      - 6r or 12r empath rovers and choppers
      - best weapon choppers and interceptors
      - best-1-1 artillery

any other are usually added as i need them and are usually just modifications of the above with special abilities (paratroopers, marines, or empath scout artillery for dealing with annoying spore launchers)

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
        Have you switched off the Unit autodesign ? (not the right name, but describes this annoying feature well).

Don't design new units every time you invent an armour or weapon - wait for example for plasma shards before upgrading weapons - that is of course if you are at peace with your neighbours .

From time to time, upgrade obsolete designs even if you doesn't have any units of that kind - it keeps your unit line in Unit design clean and much faster to work with.

What is kiss? And what if I'm not at war and all of the units are sitting there being obsclete and not up to date?

Comment

KISS : Keep It Simple Stupid - no offense meant

I'm a little confused - I guess that you are aware of the upgrade command when right clicking a unit, but you can also make a global upgrade from the unit design window. Doing that all units of one type will be upgraded. It demands a lot of cash if you have many units of a kind, but is much easier than doing it for each unit.

Just a warning - DON'T upgrade air units this way if any of them are airborne - you will loose those units. Don't know the logics behind this, but maybe it is considered unsafe that engineers do upgrade works in the air .

If you can wait, upgrade gets much cheaper with fusion (and following engines) and rediciously cheap with the Nano-something SP (check the Datalinks - Secret projects).
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The thing is that I don't have the money to upgrade all of the units. Thus it's very hard to keep track of who is how advanced and where are all of the advanced units on the map and which ones to upgrade/dispose every turn.

Comment

Can you post a save of a game with this situation ? If you compress it, please use zip.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Just a warning - DON'T upgrade air units this way if any of them are airborne - you will loose those units. Don't know the logics behind this, but maybe it is considered unsafe that engineers do upgrade works in the air
                are you positive? used some mass upgrading on air units to hit with both sam and non sam on the same turn with the same chopper.it hovered quite nicely midair

The thing is that I don't have the money to upgrade all of the units. Thus it's very hard to keep track of who is how advanced and where are all of the advanced units on the map and which ones to upgrade/dispose every turn.
                in general, units that are noncombat can just be left alone,till you know what you want. or actually,i rarely upgrade units anyway. if they arnt getting killed or being killed,they arnt much use. i say just play a few games till you know what works or dosnt,best way to learn
                if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Kataphraktoi

are you positive? used some mass upgrading on air units to hit with both sam and non sam on the same turn with the same chopper.it hovered quite nicely midair
                  Try with noodles - nasty things happens. I might have scared and without reason included choppers

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I think it happens only when upgrading the reactor. That gives extra movement points, which is what causes the problem.
                    "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
                    -- Kosh

Comment

I should have noticed that it's only reactor upgrade that crashes noodles - and yeah, choppers isn't affected.

* BC crawls shamefully back into his hole *

Steven Weinberg

Comment

So if your tech is capable of building units ages ahead of the ones you have now what do you do?

Comment

So if your tech is capable of building units ages ahead of the ones you have now what do you do?
                          what can you offer as an example? i assume you mean, say missle units and getting shard ability?

answers cannot easily be given for what is a very general question

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

You have 20 tank A and 20 infantry A. Now a new tech is researched like a new weapon. So now all of your units are obsclete. And then what do you do?

Comment

you have autoprune obsolete units and autodesign off right? perhaps you are getting confused by 'obsolete', smac calls lots of great units 'obsolete' (ive seen probe teams on the list too ) they arnt really obsolete unless you think so

what i would do,i just keep going with the units i had.they dont lose combat effectiveness,unless your enemy gets better they are fine. also ctrl+u allows selective upgrades

Comment

Working...
                              X